FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

thinking about running a rear mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about running a rear mount

i have been thinking about making a rear mount for my truck so i can still run all the exhaust i just bought hows everyones set up working
Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Longtubes don't typically maximize power in rear mount setups. You lose too much heat through the tubing.

I've got a front mount for sale if you are interested.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coban
Longtubes don't typically maximize power in rear mount setups. You lose too much heat through the tubing.

That's why you ceramic coat them inside and out. Front mounts own rear mounts anyways though
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
That's why you ceramic coat them inside and out. Front mounts own rear mounts anyways though
How so?
The rearmount kept up on power compared to the front mount Chris put on his truck.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=461333
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ummm

Scrap the long tube idea unless u run 1inch tubes to the turbo...... Go back to stock manifolds and wrap everything...... No matter what u think you dont have enough motor to spool a rear mount with anything more then stock manifolds.... I have made well over 900+ with stock manifolds with unlocked converter and 80E... with a 408 cubic inch motor.... rear mounts work fine.. and I have been plenty fast with them.. its just all about the setup... and having the Right guy behind the Keyboard sure helps
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
No on both accounts.
Just because you ceramic coat them inside and out, your still can't overcome the added cooling effect due of the surface area that comes with eight individual primaries. You can coat them, wrap them, treat them, do whatever you want to them but in the end they are still thin walled tubes that are designed to dispell heat. Best thing for a rear mount is cast manifolds or something with alot of thickness to it. Flow doesn't matter much since the biggest restriction in the system is the turbo itself, anything prior to that is not an issue.

Power is a result of what happens in the combustion chamber, not about how many feet of piping a sytem needs to make it. Where most people go wrong is when they add 20 ft of piping to a system, they don'y make other changes and adjustment that need to be made to make it work, hence that is why most comparible systems show differences in power delivery.

Originally Posted by Casey2323
Scrap the long tube idea unless u run 1inch tubes to the turbo...... Go back to stock manifolds and wrap everything...... No matter what u think you dont have enough motor to spool a rear mount with anything more then stock manifolds.... I have made well over 900+ with stock manifolds with unlocked converter and 80E... with a 408 cubic inch motor.... rear mounts work fine.. and I have been plenty fast with them.. its just all about the setup... and having the Right guy behind the Keyboard sure helps

Casey has done more with rear-mounts than most on this site and has learned from experience, his advice is legit. I too had a rear-mount and made 900+ but did not do it as well as Casey because of mismatch parts, impatience, and inattention to detail.

Again power is power, don't use sizing and calculations used for a front mount on a rear mount, different animals.

Last edited by Spoolin; 06-18-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban

agreed, my truck took forever to spool with the damn long tubes.

Spend the money on a front mount if you are hellbent on going turbo. You will be happier.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah im going with the front mount i will just have to sell my long tubes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey2323
What he said ^^^