FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

timing versus Boost for HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing versus Boost for HP

I have seen it posted before, that timing makes more hp than boost. I agree with this, but am curious, how much hp does timing make in relation to boost?
1 degree advance would = ???
1 pound boost wouuld = ???
I think this would be good to know for those out there that keep cranking up the boost when maybe they should go a different route for more power
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost makes more horsepower than timing as a general rule,but as a general rule it's the combination of boost in relation to timing which will yield the maximum horsepower.But if you tune the timing for maximum power,you are probably on the verge of detonation that could potentially wreck your engine.That's why most tuners use a compomise in timing to keep a change in temperture,altitude or barometric pressure from wrecking your motor.That's also why a self tuner can see a big jump in power by advancing timing that often leads to a catistrohpic engine failure.What I'm saying is be careful how much timing you add.

Last edited by whitt1; 12-18-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Boost VS Timing

Whitt is correct, there comes a point where you are running on the edge.....

The best thing to do it run the most boost with the most timing you can safely, there comes a point where you are spinning a supercharger so much that it is actually taking more power to spin than it is worth (diminishing returns). This holds true on the street on stock motors, the race track is a different story. Find the happy place on pump gas for the street and add some race gas and a few degrees of timing at the track.

I run pretty damn close to the edge on the street, that is where I like it!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:37 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends a lot on your set up. if you have the capasity to run as much boost as you want(large compresor) then my experience is more boost and less timing will give you the most power on pump gas.

boost will definatly give you more power than timing.

my experince tuning to the edge of pump gas was 9psi and about 19deg was a limit and 11psi and 14deg was a limit. the 11psi and 14deg was giving me more power than the 9psi and 19deg.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the Performance Trucks forum although I have been reading (lurking) and enjoying it for a while. This is my first post offering.

The conventional wisdom says with 15 lbs boost, you roughly double your n.a. (non-boosted) hp.;therefore, if you make n.a. 300 hp, you will make about 20 hp/lb boost. (300/15)

For timing I've read on the mustang corral forum ( and I think it's close), you gain about 35hp for each additional degree of timing you can put back in.( by cooling, octane, etc.)

Of course it all depends on so many relative factors that this is just a guide. I know this is contrary to the other replies but I think it's close.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
it depends a lot on your set up. if you have the capasity to run as much boost as you want(large compresor) then my experience is more boost and less timing will give you the most power on pump gas.

boost will definatly give you more power than timing.

my experince tuning to the edge of pump gas was 9psi and about 19deg was a limit and 11psi and 14deg was a limit. the 11psi and 14deg was giving me more power than the 9psi and 19deg.
Exactly! for a forum helper guideline the real question to me is running "on the edge" with these numbers on forged motor internals or stock internals? Everything has a breaking point...hence the upgrades. Stock 6l with 10lbs and 19* might make power for a little while but I serioulsy doubt it will last on the street. Even at the track w/race gas...it'll break in due time. No kr or no running lean, she'll go anyway. We all quest for the same thing, most power with not only what we have, but not breaking it as well. It's very hard to muster up answers to what boost and what timing will produce the most reliable street power....way too many differences in people's setups. The same build in parish's truck in another truck but an extended cab will more than likely act quiet differently with that extra 500 to 750 lbs.

But the thread question was timing or boost for more power right? Got boost?

Boost/HP Calculator
Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Exactly! for a forum helper guideline the real question to me is running "on the edge" with these numbers on forged motor internals or stock internals? Everything has a breaking point...hence the upgrades. Stock 6l with 10lbs and 19* might make power for a little while but I serioulsy doubt it will last on the street. Even at the track w/race gas...it'll break in due time. No kr or no running lean, she'll go anyway. We all quest for the same thing, most power with not only what we have, but not breaking it as well. It's very hard to muster up answers to what boost and what timing will produce the most reliable street power....way too many differences in people's setups. The same build in parish's truck in another truck but an extended cab will more than likely act quiet differently with that extra 500 to 750 lbs.

But the thread question was timing or boost for more power right? Got boost?

Boost/HP Calculator
Im sure boost # for # will make more power than timing, but I wouldnt consider 10# and 19* alot. Ive done this for over a year with meth and no intercooler. I plan on running 14# and hopfully 20* on my new motor with intercooler.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Im sure boost # for # will make more power than timing, but I wouldnt consider 10# and 19* alot. Ive done this for over a year with meth and no intercooler. I plan on running 14# and hopfully 20* on my new motor with intercooler.
new motor? details?