Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?!?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after tuning on the dyno for over 8-9 hrs we where able to only get 415hp and 444ish tq out of it.. main reason is the tuner said he couldnt get the truck with my 3400 stall converter to stop downshifting to 2nd, on most titans he can floor it at 3300-3400 rpms in 3rd and it wont down shift, but since i have a built tranny and 3400 stall if he tries that it instantly flashes to 4k rpm's and downshifts.. So i don't know if i'll ever be able to get any high hp numbers out of this on the dyno, I dont care thouigh what it does at the street/track is what really counts Nother bit of the good news is the intake manifold was only getting 4.3 to 4.5psi of boost with a 6lb wastegate.. last dyno sheet i had i had around 337hp and 360-365tq

so that's a gain of 78hp and 79ftlbs of tq over last years n/a numbers
i left my memory stick at the tuners shop, and he is supposed to mail me a copy of the file to post.

Bad news is on the way home my trans went into some sort of limp mode and WILL NOT shift from 3rd to 4th, all other gears work perfect, smooth precise shifts (havent tried to use boost to make it shift, going to dealer on fri to see if they can clear the limpmode code for the transmission) im thinking the reason it went into limp mode is the ecu is looking for a signal from the stock fuel sending unit/gas pump and since it knows it is M.I.A. it is automaticlly displaying 100% calculated load no matter if im sitting still, flooring it, or barely moving..
tuner is going to have fun trying to unscrew this nightmare, cant really put in a 8-10psi spring for more boost till i unscrew this calculated load issue, cant really afford to blow up a 6k tranny
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Good luck on fixing all the details. Keep us updated.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds like fun and good luck jumping all of the tuning hurdles. It will be worth it in the end, cool build!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good luck. I put in a 10lb spring and only saw like 7. Something with the STS and not actually holding the correct spring pressure is weird. I bought an 80 dollar turbosmart boost controller and I set it at 12 and never touched it again. Saw 12lbs all the time.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
12 Second Truck Club

i have a one-off kit nuthing from mine is sts, it might mimic the piping design/placement of a sts kit though..
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, good luck with all that!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Hope you get all the bugs worked out soon, cause i wanna see some videos!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

thanks for the support guys, the workmanship of nelson was top notch.. this has nothing to do with what they did at all.. The problem started when i first removed the stock fuel tank, and fuel sending unit assembly.. I talked to Clark Steppler today who is a engineer at Jim Wolf Technologies and has been working on nissans for over 30 yrs and he immediatly knew what the problem what when i first said i replace the fuel pump,lol he told me in the fuel sender assembly it has some sort of resistor or diode that reads fuel temps and sends that data to the ecu, and with that gone the ecu automaticlly goes into fail safe mode 1 which automaticlly starts dumping fuel ( after installing my aeromotive equipment it did excactly that a/f ratios where pegged at 10.0 to 10.6 no matter what i did) i didnt know what was going on i just thought it needed a retune, so i went ahead and had nelson do the turbo kit and brought it in to uprev and they too also immediatly noticed the calc load tables where sky high even sitting at idle.. another sign of fail safe mode 1.. well low and behold this ecu has a second mode of fail safe 2, lol and i found that out the hard way driving home it locked the tranny into 1-2-3rd gears and will not shift into 4th or OD.. Clark also told me that once this is corrected my truck will automaticlly lean back out cause it will not be in fail safe mode so i have to be retuned all over again after uprev puts in that resistor or diode into the fuel temp sender harness..

least it is a very cheap fix, i thought i smoked a 6k tranny,lol
Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good mna, good thing you found a pro that knew exactly what hes doin.... hopin to see vids of this thing soon

Quick Reply: Toomnymods Nissan is finallY getting Turbo'ed