FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

towing with STS, Jerry, you here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow ***.

I will trade you my L33 and a 60 for your setup.lol. Mine tows fine.

How was your turkey day?

Later

Erick
Old 11-27-2005, 01:04 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would hate to know what my egt's are. i might be better off not knowing. http://www.neufamily.org/glowvid.wmv
Old 11-27-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't the normal exhaust gas temps for traditional style turbos aroound 1200-1400 anyway?? I'm not sure but if that is the case then you shouldn't have much to worry about. Also not 100% on this but as I understand it, the STS being so far back only see's around 800-900EGT's verse the normal 1200-1400!! So if it is at 1600 then that should put you somewhere neer the 1200 range. Which again shouldn't be too bad. Just a thought though! Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge on the subject.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Launching!

You can't compare a diesel to a n/a engine with a turbo added on. BIG difference in EGT's. 1600 is a cat converter melter and for some stock pistons, the limit. Here's what I thought we STS rear mounted folks could do. Put an electric cutout in before the turbo. Pipe that with a 2 1/2" or 3" pipe with a bullet style muffler and run it out the back (opposite side if you have single exhaust). When you want to bypass the turbo, switch your cutout. That would allow you to tow or whatever....

Is that doable?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:53 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by hemifever
You can't compare a diesel to a n/a engine with a turbo added on. BIG difference in EGT's. 1600 is a cat converter melter and for some stock pistons, the limit. Here's what I thought we STS rear mounted folks could do. Put an electric cutout in before the turbo. Pipe that with a 2 1/2" or 3" pipe with a bullet style muffler and run it out the back (opposite side if you have single exhaust). When you want to bypass the turbo, switch your cutout. That would allow you to tow or whatever....

Is that doable?
You would have to do something with the intake, then load a N/A tune sounds good not sure if it would all work but I don't see why not.

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
Slow ***.

I will trade you my L33 and a 60 for your setup.lol. Mine tows fine.

How was your turkey day?

Later

Erick
Coming from cali, Donner pass is a Looooooong basterd.
Throw in some cash and will talk, or we could just trade trucks lol. My T-day was good, yours?

coming into Reno soon?

01Blackerado: I don't care too much how hot the turbo is, I'm more worried about the engine, aluminum melts around 1400 deg.

parish8; I’d love to see what your EGT temps hit in the 1/4mile, How did it tow at drag week? Did you load a milder tune or anything?

As far as I know less timing means more gas/air is needed to run the same car (truck) up a hill. (Please correct me if I am thinking about this all wrong.)

And since I don't run the truck "In boost" I could up my timing almost back to the stock table and just watch for KR, does anyone thing that would help or even sound possible?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not install a small 4lbs spring in your wastegate, then install an Electronic boost controller? Dial it down to 4lbs when towing, that should help the EGT#s I would think...
Old 11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Dusty,

I should be in Reno Saturday night on the 3rd. T-Day was good, spent it with the girl-friends family.

Erick
Old 11-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Aries
Why not install a small 4lbs spring in your wastegate, then install an Electronic boost controller? Dial it down to 4lbs when towing, that should help the EGT#s I would think...

High EGT's are during vacume not boost.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wilde Racing- By engine do you mean heads specificly or the pistons and other internals!?? I see what you're saying now though... Would going to a larger exhaust system help with EGT's since you would essentially be removing some of the friction!!?? I'm not sure, just trying to get some ideas out!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:17 PM

I'm not sure how much more it would help (some I'm sure), because the EGT didn't drop very much after I removed the cats and went to the GT67 from the 60-1. But maybe if I could get 3in mandel bent y pipe and 3.1/2 turbo flang???????

I know on big truck a bigger air filter will lower EGT's, I'll try that too.

Quick Reply: towing with STS, Jerry, you here?