FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Towing w/ a radix

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
While towing you are able to run a lowwer gear with only a psi or two of boost.
now I beg to differ.....in a lower gear with the load of a trailer....pulling up hill I have see up in the 10-11 psi range with my turbo. I think this comes down to what the customer thinks he wants. Having sold and installed both, they are VERY comparable in most ways, but I must say that the Magna Charger still wins the complete kit and quality contest.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im looking for gas mileage between between the radix and the STS....
at 5 pounds, which is easier on the motor? a radix or a STS...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
now I beg to differ.....in a lower gear with the load of a trailer....pulling up hill I have see up in the 10-11 psi range with my turbo. I think this comes down to what the customer thinks he wants. Having sold and installed both, they are VERY comparable in most ways, but I must say that the Magna Charger still wins the complete kit and quality contest.
At which point you would most liklly do better to down shift, but how much boost would your maggie make at that low rpm?

Which is better STS or radix??? Depends on the wants of the persn.

Do you want a complete slow package? Then the radix is for you
Or a more advanced fast set-up? maybe a turbo (sts) is for you....

Turbos do better on trucks that tow end of story, thats you over-the road trucks use them, thats why diesels use them, etc. A turbo will make boost at idle if the load is there......
Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Mr. Obvious

Originally Posted by seadoo
not sure what you mean here but boost is boost.

also a radix(SC) is belt driven so it takes engine HP to turn it as the turbo is exhaust driven but still has to overcome the exhaust restriction so i dont think one is going to be harder on the engine than another. i dont see how it could. as long as the AFR/tune is good
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You do not need 11.5 a/f at 2-3 psi of boost, 13.s will get you by. In fact tuning for towing is TOTALY different than normal track/street tuning IMHO.
With the available tuning tables in my custom OS, I believe that would require running a separate tune for towing and some sort of boost limiter. I still want to have full boost available when I need it. It would be nice if the Commanded Fuel vs RPM vs MAP table extended beyond 100 kPa into boost.

====================================

COT is not an issue for me.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrunner
not sure what you mean here but boost is boost.
True Boost is Boost however,
Your limited with a Radix as to when and where that boost comes into play and the cost of it (hp) is more than the cost of that boost with a Turbo. And with a turbo you can control how much boost and at what RPM's you want it at. Boost on turbo's is not as dependant on RPM's as it is load. My Turbo would hit full boost until 3500 rpm's without a trailer but when I was towing I would see full boost at 2000 rpm's which is impressive considering I had a GT-76 on a 5.3L. To answer his question...for gas mileage and easier on engine it is turbo hands down. If it's for other criteria then the radix comes into play. That is my .02 cents.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
blownerator

A
Do you want a complete slow package? Then the radix is for you
Maybe I should drive my truck up to Reno some day and we can see who is slower
Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by seadoo
im looking for gas mileage between between the radix and the STS....
Looking for gas mileage while towing is like looking for a 19 year old virgin hooker on hollywood and vine.....It does not exist.

If you are going to tow allot of weight and allot of miles then a Duramax might be in your future.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great! Why is this the Turbo guys Vs the Blower guys? lol. I went with a blower because I did not want a rear mount and STS is/was the only CARB certified setup.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by DrX
With the available tuning tables in my custom OS, I believe that would require running a separate tune for towing and some sort of boost limiter. I still want to have full boost available when I need it. It would be nice if the Commanded Fuel vs RPM vs MAP table extended beyond 100 kPa into boost.

====================================

COT is not an issue for me.
I'm not sure if this will help you, but here is a HUGE tuning secret of mine for 2 bar tow tunes..
Run in P.E mode all the time except decel. This is easy to do with HPTuner; you just command p.e fuel at anything over 1% throttle. (Not 0%, this keep DFCO working), then zero out your p.e fueling, and add fuel solely from you b.e fueling. You will be basically running open loop, but B.E fueling will add at 100 kpa regardles. That way 2 psi of boost gets 13.5 a/f ratio (or what ever you want) at 2,000 rpm or 6,000 rpm. This makes tuning for fuel mileage and EGT much much easier.......

Quick Reply: Towing w/ a radix