FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TPI advantages & disadvatages

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI advantages & disadvatages

Ok for xmas im supposed to be getting the TPI tuned port injection off of an 85 iroc camaro. I have a 1987 Chevrolet Silverado with a 5.7L 350 fuel injection, and i will be replacing the throttle body injection with the Tpi.
Id like to know the advantages/disadvantages of this. Wats good about it? Wats bad about it?

Thanks
Trevor
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Advantages - increadible low and mid range torque.
Disadvantages over what you have now? Maybe the cost of a high pressure fuel pump, wiring harness for the 8 injectors etc., maybe needing a new computer and chip. You will definately be needing the chip but I am unsure about the computer.
You will only see improved performance with the unit. I'd do a cam swap while you have the intake off if it was me. Just a little cam can make a world of difference. I recomend contacting Brian Harris @ TPICHIPS.com. He also has TBICHIPS.com. He can help you out tremendously with the swap.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my uncles doin it all for me and he has diplomas for building racing engines and stuff so it will all be installed right. He recently built an engine for his camaro so im gettin the tpi off the engine that was in his camaro. thanks for the reply and the site.

Any estimated horsepower/torque gains? Other performance gains?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by low87
Any estimated horsepower/torque gains? Other performance gains?
It'll make it run like a truck is supposed to run: when you mash the throttle, the truck will get up and go!
I seem to remember from the late eighties the first aftermarket tuned port systems advertized like +50 ft/lbs over a dual-plane manifold.
Definitely go with a cam, as mjhoward says. Something advertized as a truck/torque/towing cam.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok well this may be dumb question but you know how in the new chevrolet trucks with the 5.3 l vortec when you stomp it to the floor from going like 60 to maybe pass someone or something it will be like BOOM! and pull you back in the seat and take off?

Well the 350's dont do that they come out the hole quick but when you stomp it from like 60 to pass someone they just start speeding up the dont really take off flyin.

What im askin though is with the tpi will it make my truck get up and go like that?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by low87
What im askin though is with the tpi will it make my truck get up and go like that?
I think it will. I'm sure it will improve it. If you add the cam, I'll include a money-back guarantee.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Go to www.thirdgen.org to find out about TPI. Its a better setup cause its multiport, but dont expect a ton of HP for the swap. TPI 350's were only rated at 230-245hp stock and since your's is from an 85 IROC that would make it off of a 305 (the same as the 350 but with different injectors). If your looking for top end power, you'd be better off with a Holley Stealth Ram. TPI motors make a ton of torque (330lb. ft stock) but fall of at around 70mph (in the Camaro). They just dont flow well for higher RPM HP.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no better EFI for a SBC in a truck. TPIS will set you up.

torque torque torque, Siamesed runners help the top end, but don't expect much above 5500, no matter what you do.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I built a SBC 383, TPI, roller cam, 1 3/4 headers, 10:1 comp. It went flat at 4500, but until then it pulled like a son-of-a-gun.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
there is no better EFI for a SBC in a truck. TPIS will set you up.

torque torque torque, Siamesed runners help the top end, but don't expect much above 5500, no matter what you do.
Unless you switch to something like the TPIS Mini-ram, it is similar to an LT1 intake. SHort runners, but you give up some of that low end. If you can get the sequential fire system, some were batch fire I think.

Quick Reply: TPI advantages & disadvatages