FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trick turbo passes Colorado emmisions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to emissions my truck since the dealer didn't do a complete certification. I'm waiting for the truck to get done and look over to see the moron has only the rear wheels on the dyno! I ran out and told the jackass that it was awd, hence the reason behind me pulling into the fulltime 4wd/awd lane! Regardless they finish the test and run the gas cap pressure test but I noticed a guy with an early 80's k10 passed without having any cats so they must not be too strict with the emissions here. Looking at my sheet it says the state limits are:
HC GPM: 4.00
CO GPM: 20.00
NOx GPM: 9.00
They also run an obdII scan for dtc's but my truck passed without issue well under all levels. I don't know anyone who has had to physically take their truck for re-certification in colorado unless it is a new vehicle. They have those little vans set up all over the place and I think the smoking plymouth acclaim has more issue with passing then any modded truck without cats.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

BTW the guy didn't look under my truck for cats and the mobile certification and appearantly the vans have a number of sensors and cameras as you drive by

Good to see my taxes are doing something convenient
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do they have them here in Nevada? Because I boosted past a van that had sensor set up like that on the side of the onramp..... Do they just check the rear license plate? If they only check the front and I did bad then i'm cool bc I haven't had a front plate for years.

Will they do anything if they positively identify someone for failing miserably?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mcconditioner
BTW the guy didn't look under my truck for cats and the mobile certification and appearantly the vans have a number of sensors and cameras as you drive by

Good to see my taxes are doing something convenient
Thats a Baddass truck you got there! Don't think Ive seen it around?

What all do you have done to it?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks dude! I just have it dropped 4" with nnbs silverado 20s powdercoated black, magnaflow catback (black), aem intake, tune and some tr6 plugs that are anxiously awaiting some actual power. Kinda leaning toward building a turbo kit but I need to buy a welder or use one at my shop, these trucks don't make easy power without boost up here.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Vans on side of road measuring SMOG when you drive by?? I am confused. LOL

We need that SMOG system in Cali!!!!
we do have them in cali i have seen them setup here alot, there is one about once a month for week on the south 15 to 91 east. but i think its to see who doesent meet smog specs and send them a smog check notice.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
we do have them in cali i have seen them setup here alot, there is one about once a month for week on the south 15 to 91 east. but i think its to see who doesent meet smog specs and send them a smog check notice.
how often do we have to smog our trucks? i have never gotten a deffinate anwser its always anywhere from 4-7 years
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

7 years from purchased new then after every two years.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
7 years from purchased new then after every two years.
thanks. Do you think a comp cam in the 212 range and on a 114 would not pass? becasue im considering this cam for my 4.8
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen one set up on the Eastbound 91 entrance at Magnolia twice. You can't miss it, cones, tripods, cables across the road and all sorts of apparata. I did not go through it either time but don't imagine I'd have had any trouble. The Whipple setup with the Magnaflow cats passed the real smog tests. I think if you end up going through one of these by surprise without cats, nail the trottle and go through wide open. Why? Because they can detect that you're accelerating and WOT acceleration emissions have no standard (or requirement) for testing. Since they know this there may be signs posted that say "slow" in which case you could be busted for that I guess...

Quick Reply: Trick turbo passes Colorado emmisions!