FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TrickPer Turbo Kit Install...Here I come

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
The port on the side of the intake is the right place to hook your vacuum lines. You do not need to run a line to the turbo.

If you have a air compressor at your house you can use it to see when your wastegate is opening. I use a leak down tester and some barb fittings to test all of the vacuum stuff on my truck. Unhook the vacuum line from the intake and hook the leak tester to it. Take your wastegate off but leave the vacuum line hooked to it. Then you can add a little air pressure at a time and see when it opens the wastegate valve. That will give you an idea if you have it hooked up right and what pressure the spring is. You might have to unhook your boost controller until you get it figured out. Make sure that the vacuum line is going to the right port on the wastegate. Normally that is the one on the side closest to the valve. If you hook it to the wrong one it won't open at all.
Now that I have the truck at home, I went down checking the WG boost lines and discovered that both WG ports, side and top ports, are connected. Side port is connected to boost reference coming from intake and top port is connected to Boost controller output which is WRONG.

I checked Hallman MBC installation instruction and it says that "Top port of the WG always vents to atmosphere. Do not connect anything here". Also, the side port of the WG should be connected to Boost controller output not to boost line coming from intake.

So, I corrected that and used the extra tee coming form intake boost line that was going to the WG to connect GM old style external 3-bar map sensor. Only remining is to uplug the map harness from stock map at the back of the intake and to connect it to the GM 3-bar map extension harness, mounted to firewall. Will keep stock map just to plug the intake hole.

I have some oil leak from the o-ring at the bottom of the oil dipstick tube. Will have to fix that. Then I think I am going to get it tuned at a different place instead of waitng for two weeks.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denali08
Now that I have the truck at home, I went down checking the WG boost lines and discovered that both WG ports, side and top ports, are connected. Side port is connected to boost reference coming from intake and top port is connected to Boost controller output which is WRONG.

I checked Hallman MBC installation instruction and it says that "Top port of the WG always vents to atmosphere. Do not connect anything here". Also, the side port of the WG should be connected to Boost controller output not to boost line coming from intake.

So, I corrected that and used the extra tee coming form intake boost line that was going to the WG to connect GM old style external 3-bar map sensor. Only remining is to uplug the map harness from stock map at the back of the intake and to connect it to the GM 3-bar map extension harness, mounted to firewall. Will keep stock map just to plug the intake hole.

I have some oil leak from the o-ring at the bottom of the oil dipstick tube. Will have to fix that. Then I think I am going to get it tuned at a different place instead of waitng for two weeks.
Sounds like it might be a good idea to try a different tuner anyway. Just make sure you don't plug in your 3 bar sensor until you get to the dyno to do the new tune. Hopefully the wastegate works right now. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been fighting an oil leak on Pass side. Changed the o-ring on the dipstick tube and welded one more hole, missed, on the tube left by old bracket.

Connected the RX PCV can. Noticed that the guy who did the turbo kit install did not remove the hose going from behind the throttle body on the intake to the pass valve cover which caused oil leak under boost from the pass valve cover.

So, connecting the PCV to the intake port with built-in check valve on the can resolved the issue. I plugged the hose going to the pass valve since I installed vented oil fill cap.

Done a dyno run at 9 psi then raised it to 11 psi and did a 2nd run. Finally raised the boost to 15psi and did a pull. All was MAF tune.

I left it with the tuner to work on the SD tune and will run it on the dyno tomorrow. We will to raise the boost to 18 psi.

Here is a dyno graph for 15 psi dyno run. Fuel pressure was never below 60 psi. It climbs close to 70 psi under boost.

@ 11 psi, it made 474rwhp/481rwtq.
@ 15 psi, 513rwhp/499rwtq. But the graph had a data loss from 5000-5700.
Attached Thumbnails TrickPer Turbo Kit Install...Here I come-dyno-graph-15-psi-513rwhp.jpeg  

Last edited by Denali08; 03-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

in for vids
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boost controller is working great. However, the 9 psi spring gave 11 psi on my boost gauge. Four turns clockwise on the Hallman pro MBC (in cab) resulted in 13 psi. 2 more turns gave 15 psi.

So, every one full turn gives 1 psi increase in boost.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am using TR6 plugs @ stock gap. I think it's 0.035", not sure though because I forgot to check before installing the plugs.

I have a set of TR7 and TR8 plugs. Do I need to change the TR6 plugs at this boost level 15 psi?

Since I have a boost controller, I'm thinking to tune it for 18-20 psi with race fuel C12 or C16 then will lower boost for pump gas. So, can I go on both boost settings with same plugs? What plugs?

If I need to change plugs between the two different boost settings, what plugs should I use for each setting??

In my two first runs with 1st tuner, boost shooted to 20 psi on TR6 without any missing or any issues on pump gas 91 octane. So, should I try 20 psi tune with TR6 plugs? Then decide if I need colder plugs and gaping the plugs?

What plug gap is everyone gaping their plugs for turbo?

Last edited by Denali08; 03-20-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

Where are u located?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quick update. TR7 plugs installed. It was tuned 1-bar maf tune, temporally. Made 460rwhp. Ran 12.68sec/110mph in 1/4 mile launching from idle off the line with crappy 2.135 60' and hit the rev limiter shifting to 3rd.

Today is the good news, here. Done a dyno tune session. We nailed it this time SD using 3-bar MAP @ 15psi. It was day and night difference.

Made 571rwhp/652rwtq @ 15 psi on pump gas.

I launched it on the street in 4wd with tuner with me to perform scan. No knocking at all at 15 psi. I was able to foot brake it and build 4-5 psi @ 3200rpm. When I launched it, it broke all four tires loose from a standing still launch. Couldn't be happier.

Going to have to strap the front end and put good tires to try it again at the track. Will see what it does this time with new found power.

Dyno graph is below. Any comments are welocme.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

**** yeah!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

I could probably get my hands on a duramax MAF.

is it the same size as our mafs? or do I have to modify anything?

then really its just in the tuners hands from there once the 3 bar maf is installed?

Quick Reply: TrickPer Turbo Kit Install...Here I come