FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TrickPerformanceProducts NEW R&D truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
At 800hp I can gain 20hp by adding 1 degree of ignition advance too. I can make 1000fwhp with a 3" downpipe and still have no concerns for high p/r's.
I have to agree. Most turbo setups are not running at there full potential where a larger down pipe is the only thing that's going to make more power. Why go to the expense and trouble to fit a larger DP, when you can add a small amount of timing or a half lbs of boost and get the same result for FREE.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
IMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
You may gain some on the top end but i think the bottom end might suffer alittle. Unless you are making some huge power the 3" will probably do fine.
wrong. you dont lose low end by making a turbo exhaust bigger. you only gain everywhere. you'd think you guys would do some research....
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
wrong. you dont lose low end by making a turbo exhaust bigger. you only gain everywhere. you'd think you guys would do some research....
I think someone needs to relax a little.

research is on going, just becuase some ricer goes bigger and gains means it works for them, it does not in anyway shape or form mean it will work for these trucks. Do you own a truck with a turbo system on it, where do you gain this information, about these trucks?

We are in the process of build a 3.5" pipe, and exhaust. If a 4" will fit (I will know better after the 3.5 stuff is done), then we will be building that as well.
Right now we are waiting for an off the shlef cat back to show up so we can continue the dyno testing stock to ???. While that is on its way we have start the bigboy 4" system.

So there will be plenty of data laying around for all to comment on.

Now why are we doing this in stages, simple to show what an average person will be dealing with. So far we are up 60hp and have not done anything extreme.
In the end these trucks are not all out racecars, and if a larger exhaust pickups any HP, you have to way out the cost against the gains. Is the 20hp worth an extra 500-1000 dollars.

Rick
Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Is the 20hp worth an extra 500-1000 dollars.

Rick
we spend more money on less gains haha. rock on! your doing a great write up.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
IMD
Banned

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
I think someone needs to relax a little.

research is on going, just becuase some ricer goes bigger and gains means it works for them, it does not in anyway shape or form mean it will work for these trucks. Do you own a truck with a turbo system on it, where do you gain this information, about these trucks?

Rick
im relaxed. im just offering up some constructive criticism. im not ******* your product, im just offering some ideas and suggestions. thats how your products evolve.

the application makes no difference. whether the turbo is on a honda civic, a catarpillar, or a chevy truck, it doesnt matter. the turbo system works the same. when you say that just because some "ricer" puts a 4 inch downpipe on his 1000 hp 3.0l supra, doesnt mean it will work on the trucks, shows me that you havent really researched turbo charger system functions completely. fact is, the bigger the downpipe, the better, on any vehicle, any turbo, period. if you can fit a 4" dp on the truck system, then yes, its worth the gains...because its the right thing to do, it makes your product the best it can be, and better than all the rest. i never said the 3" was bad, or that it wouldnt work, im simply making an argument that if you can fit a bigger one, that you should try to, because it will work better.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The Proper size for a down pipe is 1.5 times the exducer size. So lets say roughly 2.7" on a tc76 with a MPS wheel that leaves you at 4.05". This would be considered ideal. So you are wright, it is going to help. All though if you have to move everything under the hood to gain 35hp, when you are making 900 is it worth it????

Also time to full boost is quicker with the bigger down pipe. On a 6.0l I can make 6psi at 2200 on the foot brake, so that is of no concern. Traction on the other hand is very hard to come by even with a 5880# all wheel drive truck.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I know turbo's like to flow un restricted, but in my case and most others guys siutuation. The huge DP probably won't make such a huge improvement over other thing. Yes every little 20 hp. adds up. I guess we will need to experiment more to see how much the large DP helps.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IMD
im simply making an argument that if you can fit a bigger one, that you should try to, because it will work better.
The only time a turbine outlet pipe isn't big enough (along with the associated exhaust system in a street vehicle) is if it's not allowing you to hit the required expansion ratio across the turbine - IE, PT2 (turbine outlet pressure) being too high vs. PT1.

Compare the relative pressures to the turbine power chart. You'll be surprised how little diameter matters.

Especially in lower-boost large % wastegated applications.

Rick's got the perfect mindset for this - I'm eager to see what the final results are on this project.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok, putting a 3" cat back cost me a little HP. Decided to go with a muffler shop special, flowmaster 3" inlet 3" oulet mandrel up over the axle. (160.00 and 9hp loss, , but it does sound better.
Installed a quicky tune got it back. did not print the graph at the shop was pretty yuck feeling to loose any HP, but the truck does sound better now did I mention that. LOL So now we are moving on to turboville, but we are selling ever unit we are building. So evertime I am about to grab a set of pipes for my truck they're sold. Thats a good problem to have.
So we are back where we left off at.
NEXT: Grad ME a set of hotpipes for the truck, get the IC installed, retune it with the larger injectors pull again, with this exhuast inplace.
THEN: Install a custom 3.5" exhaust, with a mangaflow muffler, make some pulls.
FINALLY: Swap out Downpipes, and see it make any more power.

Sooner or later FJO water/meth will go on, got that sitting here in a box. And just keep turning the wick up until..................

later

Sure we could have spent more time on the dyno and worked out more HP from the tune, but the final out come is the turbo so I pulled the plug on the NA stuff.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Ahhh, Flowmasters.

I think the sound is worth a couple HP loss, too ; )

Quick Reply: TrickPerformanceProducts NEW R&D truck