FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TrickPerformanceProducts NEW R&D truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to use my truck as your next R&D truck. Maybe wile I am in Iraq for 15 mounths. Do I smell a TT setup?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

This step by step has gone so well with documentation, and learning what works. Simple Mods that can really help and can be done in stages...
So we were going to do the turbo next week, but something has come up... We are planning to throw on a custom Magnaflow exhaust system.(if it fits. lol) It was for our 02 3/4ton truck, never installed still in the box.
While at the dyno we will switch the tunes, to a performance NA tune from Nelsons Performance. See just how close to 300hp at the tires we can get without, ANY series mods. YET.
After that then the turbo will go on. Once the turbo is on we want to try a 3.5" downpipe to see if that pumps up the power. All this I hope to have finalized this month.

Rick
Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by usarmyman
You need to use my truck as your next R&D truck. Maybe wile I am in Iraq for 15 mounths. Do I smell a TT setup?
Sure and we can send you pics of whats going on. That should give you somethink normal while over there. And save you some serious coinage.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 PM
IMD
Banned

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
After that then the turbo will go on. Once the turbo is on we want to try a 3.5" downpipe to see if that pumps up the power. All this I hope to have finalized this month.

Rick
you're going to try a 3.5" versus what size? a 3.5" downpipe is still too small for the turbo/displacement. hell, 2.0 liter mitsubishi guys are using a 3.5" downpipe, and its not big enough for them. i have yet to understand why the downpipes are so damn small on all the truck kits. i guess if you are running the crossover up the passenger side from behind, and trying to fit a downpipe out the same hole, then you run out of room. i think it makes more sense to run the crossover in front of the motor, and running one huge (4-5") DP out the passenger side. you should use the biggest possible pipe that space, and sound restrictions allow, for best performance.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by IMD
you're going to try a 3.5" versus what size? a 3.5" downpipe is still too small for the turbo/displacement. hell, 2.0 liter mitsubishi guys are using a 3.5" downpipe, and its not big enough for them. i have yet to understand why the downpipes are so damn small on all the truck kits. i guess if you are running the crossover up the passenger side from behind, and trying to fit a downpipe out the same hole, then you run out of room. i think it makes more sense to run the crossover in front of the motor, and running one huge (4-5") DP out the passenger side. you should use the biggest possible pipe that space, and sound restrictions allow, for best performance.

There isn't much room down there in the first place. 3" is already a fairly close fitment. I really don't think the 3" is choking it down that bad. But when it comes to turbos bigger always seem to be better with exaust.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This step by step has gone so well with documentation, and learning what works. Simple Mods that can really help and can be done in stages...
So we were going to do the turbo next week, but something has come up... We are planning to throw on a custom Magnaflow exhaust system.(if it fits. lol) It was for our 02 3/4ton truck, never installed still in the box.
While at the dyno we will switch the tunes, to a performance NA tune from Nelsons Performance. See just how close to 300hp at the tires we can get without, ANY series mods. YET.

Rick
i thought on the 3/4 trucks it ran duals from the manifolds to the muffler then to one pipe. what will you do for them to get the down pipe to hook up?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by IMD
Good for the those cars. 3" so far is plenty put JJ into the low 11's. I like the way our kit is laid out, putting the crossover in the front creates too many other issues, and I do not like the way it looks.

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
There isn't much room down there in the first place. 3" is already a fairly close fitment. I really don't think the 3" is choking it down that bad. But when it comes to turbos bigger always seem to be better with exaust.
There is room for larger dynoing will tell if larger will yeild any more power. And it is not choking that turbo down. Huge diffence is running 7-15 psi, then well over 20.

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i thought on the 3/4 trucks it ran duals from the manifolds to the muffler then to one pipe. what will you do for them to get the down pipe to hook up?
They do, but the exhaust MAGNAFLOW build is a single that Y's off to dual cats,then into the muffler, then back to a single I beleive. Its been awhile since I have seen the set up... It is going to be harder to put on the truck without the turbo then with. haha
time will tell....
Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 PM
IMD
Banned

Good for the those cars. 3" so far is plenty put JJ into the low 11's. I like the way our kit is laid out, putting the crossover in the front creates too many other issues, and I do not like the way it looks.

There is room for larger dynoing will tell if larger will yeild any more power. And it is not choking that turbo down. Huge diffence is running 7-15 psi, then well over 20.

They do, but the exhaust MAGNAFLOW build is a single that Y's off to dual cats,then into the muffler, then back to a single I beleive. Its been awhile since I have seen the set up... It is going to be harder to put on the truck without the turbo then with. haha
time will tell....
so the way the kit looks is more important than the way it performs?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure and we can send you pics of whats going on. That should give you somethink normal while over there. And save you some serious coinage.

With over $900 extra for hazard pay a mounth plus my base pay being tax free for the whole time. Money won't be much of an issue. Oh yeah, no bills for 15 mounths.
I think quietley to myself......What do I want to do with all of that extra money???
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Cool

Truck coming along nicely I see. Not many modders do a "stock" engine base dyno before the mods come into play these days.
One more item for your list: CLEAN THAT ENGINE BAY ALREADY!

Other than that, Nice progress!

Jim

Quick Reply: TrickPerformanceProducts NEW R&D truck