FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Trying to run 17-18psi and driving daily???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Is he going to replace the head gasket if you pop one??? You would def be pushing it at that psi with out studs... If you had them, then it would be very doable..
This is not completely true, quite a few ppl have run stock TTY headbolts and MLS gaskets without pushing the gaskets out or lifting the heads. Being conservative and educated has alot to do with heads lifting
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

18 psi is a **** pot load of energy on any engine..regardless of studs or bolts and turbo or roots.

what injectors are you running? how many fuel pumps? series or parallel?

10:1 compression?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
18 psi is a **** pot load of energy on any engine..regardless of studs or bolts and turbo or roots.

what injectors are you running? how many fuel pumps? series or parallel?

10:1 compression?
10.5:1
60 lb injectors
one fuel pump controlled by the FPCM
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by La Tu Papi
This is not completely true, quite a few ppl have run stock TTY headbolts and MLS gaskets without pushing the gaskets out or lifting the heads. Being conservative and educated has alot to do with heads lifting
I am not going to get into a pee pee match, but how can you be conservative with 18psi.. 18 lbs is 18 lbs.. Why try to do it, knowing that there is a pretty good chance your going to pop one, along with all the people telling you that it is very possible it will occur..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I am not going to get into a pee pee match, but how can you be conservative with 18psi.. 18 lbs is 18 lbs.. Why try to do it, knowing that there is a pretty good chance your going to pop one, along with all the people telling you that it is very possible it will occur..
Well this is where your little uneducated on the difference between pressure and volume. Just cause you have restriction to reach 18psi doesnt mean you see the volume of a less restrictive setup at 18psi. The larger the unit the more volume youll see at the stated PSI level. Charge temp has alot to do with cylinder pressure as well. A maggie is nothing more then a heat pump so the IATs of that setup will be much higher then that of a large turbo.

It also comes down to DCR of a motor as well as SCR. The lower those values are the more volume you can stuff into the cylinder. A 10.5scr motor wont handle that amount of volume as well as a 8.0scr motor with given same volume.

Alot of ppl dont have actual real world experience they just repeat what they read on the net, or they do have setups that were tuned wrong, setup wrong or are just idiots when putting a build together.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by La Tu Papi
Well this is where your little uneducated on the difference between pressure and volume. Just cause you have restriction to reach 18psi doesnt mean you see the volume of a less restrictive setup at 18psi. The larger the unit the more volume youll see at the stated PSI level. Charge temp has alot to do with cylinder pressure as well. A maggie is nothing more then a heat pump so the IATs of that setup will be much higher then that of a large turbo.

It also comes down to DCR of a motor as well as SCR. The lower those values are the more volume you can stuff into the cylinder. A 10.5scr motor wont handle that amount of volume as well as a 8.0scr motor with given same volume.

Alot of ppl dont have actual real world experience they just repeat what they read on the net, or they do have setups that were tuned wrong, setup wrong or are just idiots when putting a build together.
smart guy lol, just be safe with it
Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi

in my SVT lightning

i ran 19lbs with the stock ported eaton on pump gas 454rwhp
i ran 16.5lbs with the whipple 2.3 and a 75shot 647rwhp/721rwhp
i ran 19-21psi with the 76mm turbo 719rwhp

all with OEM head studs and never had one single issue
i had 8.9.1 CR
Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Why? I dont see you having any traction
Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Why? I dont see you having any traction
Four wheel drive.......
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't detonation what lifts the heads?? If I tune it and don't have any KR won't it work out ok?

Quick Reply: Trying to run 17-18psi and driving daily???