FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

? For tuning a turbo'd 6.0 LQ4/LQ9 with factory ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your initial boost target is 14-18psi you're in for quite a ride. If you plan to run more than 15psi of boost, by all means go to the 3 bar. I just don't like to use the 3 bar unless you really plan to run that boost for sure. You take resolution away from the map sensor every time you add on to it's range.

The pcm in the newer stuff has other tools to make fueling/spark desicions. The IAT, ECT, and barometer readings all have an effect on fueling outside of the MAP/RPM readings. Even in OLSD if you get the correct injector info put in you should always be within a few percent of your commanded AFR without worrying too much about the weather. After all correct hard info is put in you just tune the V.E. table until your wideband readings match your commanded AFR and you should be in good.

I have personally used EFI Live and HPT. Which one you like more is really a toss up. I personally preferr HPT, but EFI Live has given great results also.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
If your initial boost target is 14-18psi you're in for quite a ride. If you plan to run more than 15psi of boost, by all means go to the 3 bar. I just don't like to use the 3 bar unless you really plan to run that boost for sure. You take resolution away from the map sensor every time you add on to it's range.

The pcm in the newer stuff has other tools to make fueling/spark desicions. The IAT, ECT, and barometer readings all have an effect on fueling outside of the MAP/RPM readings. Even in OLSD if you get the correct injector info put in you should always be within a few percent of your commanded AFR without worrying too much about the weather. After all correct hard info is put in you just tune the V.E. table until your wideband readings match your commanded AFR and you should be in good.

I have personally used EFI Live and HPT. Which one you like more is really a toss up. I personally preferr HPT, but EFI Live has given great results also.
Thanks.... yes... I hope I am in for a ride..... I want to run as much boost as I can sneaking up a little at a time.......w/o detonation.....conservative timing...... The turbo Buicks will make good power for what is there.... but detonation will kill even the best of motors....
Old 12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I think you'll be amazed how fast that damn buick will be on a turbo'd 6 liter with 10 psi
Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Ok, so what you were saying earlier in the post is that every time you go up in the bar number that the map is able to read higher pressures(more boost) but is less accurate?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Not less accurate, but less fine:

It would be the same as three tape measures. The first one is one foot long, and it has marks every 1/16th of an inch. The second tape is two feet long, but the marks are 1/8 inch apart. The third one, at three feet, has about five marks per inch. They all have about the same number of measuring points, just spread farther apart at longer lengths (Higher boost).
Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Teching In

alright i get it thanks, that is kind of what i was thinking about, so the stock ecu can be used with some pretty radical builds huh?