FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo 5.3 tuning help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 5.3 tuning help?

Hey what's up guys I just got my second mail order tune from Nelson still runnigng too rich, however it doesn't fall on it's face this time and I can actually make boost I think at wot it's about 9.5 to 1 air fuel ratio via LC1 still too rich, the guy that sold me the kit is in AL. he is about 7 hrs away and I don't want to drive that far however he said he would have no problems tuning it. I am located in south GA. where nothing is and already tried to have efi alchemy in Jackson Ville FL. do it with no head way, where the hell do I get this thing tuned at I have $400 in tuning so far starting to regret it!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I would never tune a FI truck by mail order. Too much than can be fogotten as well as the weeks in between
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened at EFI Alchemy? Doc is one of the best tuners around and could easily get things worked out.

There used to be a guy around Vidalia as well named Matt that tuned; Dixie tuning was the name but I haven't heard much about him lately.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

yeah whats up with doc?? whats that situation? i know he is ALWAYS busy as hell. pm me if you wanna keep it private
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Your first mail order tune ran fine as well, however it was way too rich because you gave us the incorrect injector size, you told us 42lb instead of 60lb.
This second mail order tune is tuned for your 60's, however, if your truck is making good fuel pressure or you didn't give us the exact specs again, that's one reason why it's rich.
Like I asked before, I need to know exactly what fuel pressure these injectors were tested at, what brand, and what lb they are rated at with the amount of fuel pressure your truck is producing.
Without that, I have to make it run on the rich side.

I need exacts if we're gonna dial this thing in.

Also, don't get in a rush, this **** takes time, it'll come, just be patient!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

are your o2 sensors working? if one is failing your truck goes way rich
Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

Well first of all if you guys think I am intentionally slamming these tuners you are mistaken I am just a little discouraged! I have a Hypercrap powerpac that shows all the computers parimeters and regards to the O2's my MV's seem to be fluctuating like they are supposed to be, but the odd thing is since I ditched the rear O2's all the computers shows is 14.6 to 1 all the time when my wide band is fluctuating and Doc tuned the truck the first time and the truck wouldn't even run kept on going to reduced engine power put tuning and injectors back to stock and ran fine we messed with it from 11:00am to 2:00 in the morning, He was nice enough to reinburse me I will probably just drive up to AL. maybe I will get the 4L80e in there and a cam before I go, I wish there was somebody in south GA. and I am not from GA. just stationed here!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

I did not tell Jon at Nelson that I had 42lb injectors on the first tune I told him 60lb!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by ryan_prettyman
Well ... maybe I will get the 4L80e in there and a cam before I go, I wish there was somebody in south GA. and I am not from GA. just stationed here!
Well good luck with the route you take.

I just tried to call twice and no answer and I didn't leave a rude voicemail.

We can argue about the inj. size all night, but Jon confirmed this three times before we shipped.

I'm not trying to be an *** towards you, but a little patience and consideration goes a long way! If you decide to receive another retune from us, I'll be more than happy to deal with you and fine tune your truck.

allen
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm gonna vent my frustration, mail order tuning is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

The FIRST mod anyone should do is to purchase EFI live (preferred) or HP tuners. Spending $4000 on a turbo yet you wont drop $300 (used)/ $550 (new) for the tuning hardware/software. Just boggles me. You would be absolutely how amazed you can customize your driving experience to your wants and needs with the tuning software.

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.3 tuning help?