FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo 5.3 tuning help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I'm gonna vent my frustration, mail order tuning is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

The FIRST mod anyone should do is to purchase EFI live (preferred) or HP tuners. Spending $4000 on a turbo yet you wont drop $300 (used)/ $550 (new) for the tuning hardware/software. Just boggles me. You would be absolutely how amazed you can customize your driving experience to your wants and needs with the tuning software.
Mail order tuning has it's issues, some traced to the tuner, and most due to installation, but to say stupid, well that's your opinion. That's what the forum is for, so that's your right to post.

Many owners enjoy their mail order tune everyday!

There are a handful of mail order tuners that are very good at tuning, and do quite well.
A live tune is better for obvious reasons, but mail order tunes work just fine when done correctly!

He's probably not interested in learning to tune or interested in buying the equipment, that's why he's seeking a tuner.

His truck runs fine, it's just too rich on topend. Tuning for FI isn't difficult via mail order, larger companies like Procharger, Magna do it every day, just in a handheld box.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just venting my personal frustration with mail order tuning there. Obviously, it has it's place. I think it's hard to understand just how useful the software is until you actually have it. Being able to monitor your truck real time is priceless.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be honsetly, to me. I have no problem with Allen Nelson tuned my pcm twice times. Its perfect. I always told him a twice what I want him to adjust anything for my truck. He would remember and tuned right. I have no problem. For anybody who need him to tune and mail order. I suggest you try to remind him like more than 3 times to make sure he'd remember and write down the paper is best bet. There is nothing wrong with Nelson performance! If things Nelson ever happen for a little mistake. Forgive them and give a chance. I am sure he would make sure he do right things for the tunes. Hope things will work out for everybody and experince for tune things.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Well first of all I would love too learn how to tune a vehicle but I am positive I would be lost in the woods I have often thought of taking some classes like EFI university but unfortunately I don't have alot of time with the millitary being a full time job and working odd hours and secondly I am not putting anyone down for there tuning abilities I am positive Allen could tune this truck perfectly if I was there, with FI being as complex as it is it really needs to be dyno tuned by somebody who has experience with FI and not somebody half way across the country I was just hoping you guys new of someone in south GA.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_prettyman
Well first of all I would love too learn how to tune a vehicle but I am positive I would be lost in the woods I have often thought of taking some classes like EFI university but unfortunately I don't have alot of time with the millitary being a full time job and working odd hours and secondly I am not putting anyone down for there tuning abilities I am positive Allen could tune this truck perfectly if I was there, with FI being as complex as it is it really needs to be dyno tuned by somebody who has experience with FI and not somebody half way across the country I was just hoping you guys new of someone in south GA.
It's not as hard as you think, and there is a huge support group on this forum with EFI live.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understood you. Same thing I always want to learn how to tune myself. But I kinda scare what if one thing mistake could something happen to my engine. But someday I will buy a hptuner and I can use laptop. I will ask Allen Nelson and anyone to show me how it work and do the correct. By the way I live in Ga. I didnt know that you are in Ga? Do you really live in GA or what? What part? Since your military, must be in Savannah, Ga? I know how much you really excited to play with your truck. When things not right to you. You would be upset. You have right to be! Same thing I would do too! I agreed. But glad you would do some patience and make it successful soon.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Just my 2 cents,It's very hard to tune a truck perfect with a mail order tune because the tuner just have the info that the customer provides.Even when the info is correct.If customer does not have log files (which most customers do not).The tuner is almost working blind to set it up 100%. Especially a F/I setup.The tuner does not want to take a chance to lean it out to much.I'm glad that you guys don't live up here.In the summer it's 70's-80's-90's.Right now,it's 30's,and next month,it will be in the -20's.Try to set up a Turbo truck with that? In the summer,it's set at 5-6 lbs of boost,and right now it's pushing 8-10 lbs,just because of the weather change.
I've seen some go with a Diablosport tuner to log files and send them to the tuner to set it up.Some uses the same software that the tuner has,EFILive or HP tuners.That would be the best way to go.Even if the customer does not know how to tune,at least he or she can sent the info to the tuner.
I understand both sides though.But as Mr.Nelson wrote,it's takes time to nail a tune 100%,especially a mail order tune.Sometimes it's hard to nail it in person.lol....
Good luck.....

Last edited by motion427; 12-02-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Well fi...with FI being as complex as it is it really needs to be dyno tuned by somebody who has experience with FI and not somebody half way across the country ...
Well in that case, you need to request a retune from Melissa@nelsonperformance.com and get yourself a stock pcm before you drive all the way out there.
Our tunes are locked, and if we unlock them, the stock calibration is loaded.

Just trying to save you some time and frustration.

good luck,
allen
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

Yeah I live in Valdosta about 20 miles north of FL border, really wish you guys would help me get this thing tuned I got a turbonetics boost controller in today I really think I will put the 4L80e in soon so I can crank the boost up! And by the way I have had several people refer me to stage 6 in Jacksonville FL are they any good I guess they specialize in FI.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

I had my STS setup tuned via mail order by Allen for over a year. It was a great tune and right on with AFR at 11.4. While it's not ideal to have a mail order, it can be done and done well even with complicated setups. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.3 tuning help?