FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo Blanket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
My understanding of Parish's post is that as long as you had some off-boost time before you pulled in to the parking lot that a cool-down period would not be needed. The only time it's necessary to let the engine idle and the turbo cool off is when you rag on it and come to a stop right afterwards. When I am driving around on the street I am rarely into boost, especially when I am driving through a parking lot trying to find a place to park. The time you spend idling or driving out of boost is generally plenty of time for the turbo to cool down.
exactly!! normal putting along to me counts as cool down time

if you floor your truck across the parking lot and then skid to a stop while shuting it off then you would probably mess them up with todays synthetic oils cooking the oil is prety tuff to do. seems like it is good to 400deg before it starts cooking. the exhaust side of the turbo on the fairmont was around 400deg while doing a run on the dyno and much cooler just sitting there idleing.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they mainly used for keeping heat in, or in the same sense as a heat shield?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't heard of anyone talking of a performance increase from blankets. it just helps keep the rest of everything under your hood happy. my wheel well melted and i was worried about my master cylinder. now i can put my hand right on the blanket after doing a run. they really work well.

there might be a slight performance increase if your airfilters are sucking under hood air and are able to get cooler air.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parish8
i haven't heard of anyone talking of a performance increase from blankets. it just helps keep the rest of everything under your hood happy. my wheel well melted and i was worried about my master cylinder. now i can put my hand right on the blanket after doing a run. they really work well.

there might be a slight performance increase if your airfilters are sucking under hood air and are able to get cooler air.

What about for rear mount turbos? Will it help to reduce lag and spool faster?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Turbo timers are a bad idea around here with all the theft. Most alarms now have turbo timers built in and to me it just seems like another means of being vulnerable. So you leave your truck running for 2-5min and you lock the doors and walk away.
That's actually a better scenario than the systems being separate in that if you break into the truck, it turns off the truck the minute you hit the brake pedal (which you need to hit to get the truck out of gear).

There's nothing wrong with having a turbo timer. They've been used for years and years with no issues.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sleeper04
What about for rear mount turbos? Will it help to reduce lag and spool faster?
Since the turbo is already under the truck, it gets a good amount of air blowing past it to help cool it down.

I agree with Parish in that if you are just driving along not in boost after you were just 'in it to win it', it's cooling down. Idling for a minute doesn't hurt, let's the oil cycle through. If you have concerns, a turbo blanket, an oil cooler, HIGH QUALITY OIL (synthetic), and a turbo timer can all be your best friends.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
Since the turbo is already under the truck, it gets a good amount of air blowing past it to help cool it down.
I understand that part but was wondering about the performance aspect of it. For example, while waiting in the staging lanes at the track exhaust temps will cool, keeping the turbo from spooling up quickly once you get to the line. Would a turbo blanket help keep temps up so there is less lag once you get to the line? Sorry I wasn't more specific before.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

No problem. Considering there is about 8ft of piping before the turbo, I don't think the blanket is going to really do much if anything. You could tune for a leaner idle which would bring up the exhaust temps. Just a thought.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
You could tune for a leaner idle which would bring up the exhaust temps. Just a thought.
You should actually do the exact opposite and run a richer idle, and retard your timing. If you have HPT, just use the scanner to command a rich AFR and pull the timing down while in staging. Then shut them off when you get to the line. If you have EFI Live then use the bidirectional controls to do the same. Wrap all your pipes too if you haven't already.

Getting around the whole e-brake/brake pedal thing is easy when by-passing an alarm. Snip snip.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Getting around the whole e-brake/brake pedal thing is easy when by-passing an alarm. Snip snip.
You clip the wire and it doesn't go out of gear, and the column is still locked. You don't wire at the switch and you use factory color wires. Besides most alarms have shock, glass, or voltage sensor that detects the change.

Just because the engine is running doesn't make it any easier to steal.

Quick Reply: Turbo Blanket?