S480
Still using stock MAF atm
Stock cam
Stock 80e
Pump gas 91
Ebay intercooler and piping
Boost referenced FPR
Converted to return style

99% devils own or snow meth kit (not sure what jets or anything, need help here).

Main question is. After all of this and no tune at all should I be able to just start my truck up? Can I baby it to another house I'm moving to? And is there some standard base tune I can put on it to make it safer to put around? I'm just totally new to tuning. And very nervous about all this, adding all this and it running good again. Anything specific I should do before going to get it tuned. ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME like I said, I'm totally new to tuning. I'm not doing it my self but I didn't know if black bear or somebody else could send me something for temporary at least.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't run it with the return style fuel system and the larger injectors without adjusting the tune.

Do you have tuning software? Post your tune and I'm sure someone would adjust your injectors for you so you could get it down the road.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not even attempt to turn it over with 80# injectors in it and no tuning. If you really need to move it without tuning swap the stock 24.7# injectors back in.

The stock fuel pressure regulator was probably 4-Bar and your boost-referenced one is probably set up for 3-Bar. Returnless fuel system calibrations are different but if you stay out of throttle it will run with the stock injectors back in it.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks to hear. I don't have any tuning software, and I wouldn't have any idea how to use it if I did. And it's not so simple to put the old injectors in. The injector heights are different. I would have to have 2 different mounts set up for the rails. Not horrible but not something I want to do. The tuner Im planning on using can handle I'm sure I'm just on a time crunch, the tuner is 200 miles away so I planned on pulling the truck down there but I'm moving Nov 6th and if I'm not done by then I'm going to have to drag it where I'm moving. Seems like everybody uses hpt, is that all I need to get a baseline tune on it? For the price of it It seems like it's not worth it. The tuner I'm using is $600 for the tune, not sure what all that includes but I'm assuming thats good to go right out the door beat the hell out of it. Is it generally easy to figure out base tunes? VE tables seem like the biggest deal from some research I've done. And if I got the program and could get help on here or hpt forums then maybe it would be worth it.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

If I was to get a tuning program, which program, and what model/type. I look up hp tuners and there are tons of different ones, I wouldn't know what to get.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The tuning won't be very hard...however, I would not recommend learning to tune on a turbo setup. One screw up and poof.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
The tuning won't be very hard...however, I would not recommend learning to tune on a turbo setup. One screw up and poof.
I just want to be able to start it, check for leaks, make sure oil is getting to turbo, and set base fuel pressure.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he can bench tune yank the PCM and ship it to him. He can get close enough to drive it easy once you get it back. Sure a lot better than trailering the whole thing out there.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Silveraydo
I just want to be able to start it, check for leaks, make sure oil is getting to turbo, and set base fuel pressure.
Well......if you wanted to just do that, you could go ghetto and reduce fuel pressure proportional to the increase in injector size and be able to fire it up. Since the ifr table in the stock tune isn't static, you'd have to pull the vacuum reference off. Fuel pressure would be like 20psi so it would run like ***. I don't think I'd really try driving it like that but you could move it around.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Well......if you wanted to just do that, you could go ghetto and reduce fuel pressure proportional to the increase in injector size and be able to fire it up. Since the ifr table in the stock tune isn't static, you'd have to pull the vacuum reference off. Fuel pressure would be like 20psi so it would run like ***. I don't think I'd really try driving it like that but you could move it around.
This tuning stuff is crazy. I just thinks it's crazy you add a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors and the damn thing runs lean...lol. how much boost/power can I make with stock MAF. All the stuff I find talks about scaling it. The way I understand is it maxes out at (x) and you can go off the numbers up to that point and just scale it to go further? I'm really wanting quite a bit of boost. I may need to go speed density. If so I need an IAT and a MAP? I'm thinkING 15-16 psi so what MAP? and what do I have to do in terms of OS? I try to find conversion threads and it's always threads where everyone all ready knows what the hell they are talking about and I'm just reading scratching my head.

Quick Reply: Turbo build tune questions