FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo burning crazy oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo burning crazy oil

ok this is what i have

its a lq4 with a s-400-75 borg warner turbo im running no resctrictor on the turbo supply and i have a -10 drain line running into the timing cover the turbo is brand new to btw so i took it out for the first time today and on the decel its burning crazy oil when i came back i opened the hood and there was oil spitted out of the exhaust im running the stock pvc valve so im trying to figure out what the problem is

is it the crank case building to much pressure and spitting the oil or the drain on the turbo and its blowing threw the seal and should the oil drain on the turbo be completly straight down bc its clocked on a slight angle if thats the problem so any suggestions what i should do on this problem im having oil pressure at a idle is like 60 and goes to about 80 at cruising speeds
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

You need to vent both valve covers, and the drain needs to be pretty vertical, where the drain comes out of the turbo is the most important. My oil pressure is about the same as yours, and I have a restrictor in the feed line, but I don't remember what size.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

so how do i go about venting both sides of the valve covers and im going to have to clock that turbo more so its staight down do u think i hurt the turbo or its ok
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The drain def needs to be almost a straight shot down. I had to put in a metering orifice to slow down the oil to the turbo as well.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

ay pete where did you get that orifice im running a -4 line
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

i have a similar setup with a s472 and i do not have a restrictor on the feed. My truck was also smoking on decel untill i redid the PCV. I put a check valve in te drivers side so it could pull vacuum and would not pressurize the crankcase. I also unhooked the passenger side and put a breather on that side and capped the line by the TB. This way it still functions and you do not get that oil smell.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's what I'm going to do today I think I can use a ford pcv valve it had a build in check valve but I mean it shot out the exhaust and sprayed oil everywhere
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by droppedchev
Yeah that's what I'm going to do today I think I can use a ford pcv valve it had a build in check valve but I mean it shot out the exhaust and sprayed oil everywhere
That's because with the passenger side vent still hooked up, you just pressurized the crank case with what ever boost you where running. That MUST be vented and the TB caped off.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok and that should fix my problem do I have to run a breather tank or no and no restrictor correct
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

U think the -4 supply and -10 drain is good

Quick Reply: turbo burning crazy oil