FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo gas mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime Power
It is a small turbo on my subaru. But that means less restriction in the exhaust. There is no "free energy". Yes it uses heat that would be wasted but it does cause an exhaust restriction in doing so.
How is a smaller turbo less restriction?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t_thall
a turbo is helping the air in with otherwise waste heat instead of the pistons having to suck it in which should therefor help VE

with the subaro comparo - most factory turbo vehicles use small, restrictive turbos to get good response
I agree.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes less exhaust gass to push it.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

It might take less exhaust gas to spin the turbine at to a certain rpm, but that doesn't mean it's less restrictive. There are a ton of factors that have to be considered before saying a smaller turbo is less/more restrictive. A/R ratio, flange size, turbing blade angle, size/design, exducer bore etc. I think what you're saying is that at cruise a smaller turbo has the chance of being less restrictive, whilst the compressor side is feeding the engine. But a larger one would require more exhuast gas to move it, but it might be able to get the job done at a lower turbine speed.

The downpipe should be considered here as well since most factory offerings leave a lot to be desired.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL @ BlownChevy having like 5 posts on every page.

I like seeing the e-battles in the radix, errr I mean forced induction area on here.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
LOL @ BlownChevy having like 5 posts on every page.

I like seeing the e-battles in the radix, errr I mean forced induction area on here.
You're not getting a 112 anymore?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

All I can add to this back and forth fest here is that my truck got about 17-18mpg before my turbo install with a stock tune. After the install with a mail order tune with a mix of driving the same exact route numerous times checked i gained about 1-2mpg in mileage. Now much really but my driving is pretty consistent. It seemed that if i was just a little bit more into the gas that i got better mileage. Not like 5psi but just on the positive side of vacuum.

I also tried adding 2oz. per gallon of acetone to my fuel and gained another 2mpg!! It worked. I did it four times in a row under just about the same conditions in close to the same weather.

Not a scientific test but real world.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
.J.
Staging Lane

http://WWW.AUTOSPEED.COM/CMS/A_10993...POPULARARTICLE
Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I find that description of the gain hard to believe. I am sure you know that the pump wheel requires speed in order to move air out past the discharge area. Under normal driving conditions (no load) that turbo is not doing ANYTHING other than sitting there. In order for you to make less Vacuum you would need to be in boost....therefore making your statements of not being in boost during normal driving untrue. I would rather you make the statement "gas mileage was greatly improved due to the tuning, and power has increased from the turbo". This would have been a true statement.
No, he is correct. The turbo is actually spinning, just not compressing the air. Makes the engine more efficient. Turbo's will almost always increase your mpgs. I have heard of gto's going from 25-27 mpg N/A to almost 35mpg with a sts turbo system.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Here is some food for thought.

Top Gear a tv show on bbc, did a test. They raced a prius aganst an bmw M3.

Athough what the did different was, the Prius led as fast as it could and the M3 just had to keep up.

The prius got somewhere around 11 mpg racing around the track and the M3 got 17mpg.

My idea, if this hasn't been covered already, is the truck when the turbo was added produced the same power at cruise with less effort.

Just like the race between the Prius and the M3.

Quick Reply: Turbo gas mileage...