FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo gas mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
How could that be possible? Again, the turbo is not doing anything under normal driving conditions.
It's magic, duh
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How could that be possible? Again, the turbo is not doing anything under normal driving conditions.
Not quite true. It is wasting energy as the air is spinning the turbo. Like a fan in the wind. Or that "magical" tornado fuel saver crap. The turbo is a restriction when not in use.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime Power
Not quite true. It is wasting energy as the air is spinning the turbo. Like a fan in the wind. Or that "magical" tornado fuel saver crap. The turbo is a restriction when not in use.
That is another point, however I did not want to be the one to make it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's my input:

I've had two different cams with and without a turbo, and two different turbos.

Cam A had tons of overlap and was more suited for nitrous/NA. Cam B had no overlap and more suited for boost (02 LS6).

Turbo 1 had a bigger ex. housing (.81) and turbine. Turbo 2 had a smaller ex. housing (.68) and turbine. Compressor sides were comparable.

Naturally aspirated cam A pulled less manifold vacuum at any given load/rpm/speed than stock. Add turbo 1 and manifold vacuum was damn near the same as NA with cam A. This could be due to the too large exhaust housing.

Cam B and turbo 1 saw increased manifold vacuum, which was probably due to the lack of overlap and less duration. Cam B with no turbo (same everything else) pulled the same vacuum, however part throttle power wasn't there. Reviewing logs showed me having more TPS% at a given rpm/speed.

Cam B and turbo 2 saw manifold vacuum much like cam A and turbo 1. I think this was due to the increased restriction in the exhaust, from the smaller A/R. At highway speeds I had even less manifold vacuum than with turbo 1, but I saw less TPS%.

Make of that what you will. I never did any mpg tests, because IMO hot rodding a full size truck while watching mpg's is like pissing in the ocean.

You're never going to get the money spent on a FI kit regardless of make or design by gaining a couple mpg's. You'd have to own the truck/kit for years and never floor it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
make of that what you will. I never did any mpg tests, because imo hot rodding a full size truck while watching mpg's is like pissing in the ocean.
lmao:d
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd also like to add that I have yet to see anyone do a true scientific test. I really think it's impossible to do anyway. Too many variables. Aside from the human factor , the tests would need to be done in the same environment. No traffic, no variances in wind, and especially temperature/humidity. Doing the tests a month apart proves nothing.

In january here can be as cold as 40* in the morning. In february, it can get up to 90*.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
blownerator

I'd also like to add that I have yet to see anyone do a true scientific test. I really think it's impossible to do anyway. Too many variables. Aside from the human factor , the tests would need to be done in the same environment. No traffic, no variances in wind, and especially temperature/humidity.
Actually we did do a scientific test at the test laboratory here in Cali. There was a documented gain of over 3 mpg with our manifold / tuning / supercharger combination.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually we did do a scientific test at the test laboratory here in Cali. There was a documented gain of over 3 mpg with our manifold / tuning / supercharger combination.
Well then, snap! I wasn't aware of that. Was the test at steady state, or was there any transient conditions involved?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

"hot rodding a full size truck while watching mpg's is like pissing in the ocean."
This is the qoute of the year for me. I would have use in a head wind thou...
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM
blownerator

Well then, snap! I wasn't aware of that. Was the test at steady state, or was there any transient conditions involved?
Controlled driving trace simulating peaks and valleys.

Quick Reply: Turbo gas mileage...