FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo manifold idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am one of those guys that think fluid dynamics are over rated in a turbo set up. what fits, what is easy to build, whats not too expensive, what will last are all more important to most people. just get the exhaust to the turbo and it will run hard hard enough that that last few hp is the last of your worries.

that being said i will likely step it up to better designed manifolds eventualy just to see for myself.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i am one of those guys that think fluid dynamics are over rated in a turbo set up. what fits, what is easy to build, whats not too expensive, what will last are all more important to most people. just get the exhaust to the turbo and it will run hard hard enough that that last few hp is the last of your worries.

that being said i will likely step it up to better designed manifolds eventualy just to see for myself.

Most people on here are not trying to build a truck to compete competetively thus they don't need every bit they can get. 700rwhp would be plenty for my DD truck
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

A split turbine housing would work well with that setup. It would help keep the gases bundled. It works very well for the 4 banger crowd and since you're essentially doing the same thing....
Old 05-10-2006, 05:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
A split turbine housing would work well with that setup. It would help keep the gases bundled. It works very well for the 4 banger crowd and since you're essentially doing the same thing....
i think the first diagram is better. honda factory manifold are set up like this. fire order is like 1342 and 1and4 come to one and 3and 2 come together and then all into one from there. it alows the pulses to kinda beable to push one another with out interfering with each other. i had a book about headers and all kinds of other stuff in it. it explained that when the exhaust comes out its not only just air that comes out but it in a sort of wave too cause by the valve opening and closing. by puting the header in a fashion that allows the "waves" to help eacherother out instead of fighting each other they flow faster and more efficiently. this all is suppose to help create a vaccuum and help scavange also.

Last edited by 4.8T; 05-11-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Nice diagram, I'm not sure but wouldn't the exhaust flow faster if you went. 1-5, 7-3, 8-6, 2-4??

That would separate the left bank by five and the right bank by 3 equally for each side of the turbo flang.
Basiclly it would fire: yellow left, yellow right, green left, green right, yellow left, yellow right, green left, green right. Just a idea.
You are right about this order of flow. On turbo 4 cyl applications, say firing order is 1-2-3-4 you would hook 1-3 and then 2-4 together at the collector to get the fastest flow and least likely to flow back up stream to create back pressure. And for greater flow and efficiency use a siamesed exhaust housing and it works even better becuase it pretty much eliminates the possibilty of back flow as long as the turbos are the right size for the application. This will greatly reduce spool time, excessive heat build up, excessive EGT's and stalled turbo speeds from backpressure. And makes for a great sound improvement also. I am very happy to see you doing it the right way instead of just mounting a turbo at the end of a log style manifold and calling it a day. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Teching In

im curious as to what you mean when you say the originals manifolds "lasted" two weeks. What happened to them?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the comments guys. Im just trying to make the best of it. I emailed Jason, one of the tech guys at turbonetics the two pictures. He said he would show it to one of the engineers and get an opinion. Hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

Last edited by Yellowsierra; 05-10-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad98sst
im curious as to what you mean when you say the originals manifolds "lasted" two weeks. What happened to them?
The first time I built a log manifold and only used 18 gauge material which is like .049". The new piping Im using is .110" thick which is almost an 1/8" thick.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8

If I would spend say 10 grand to get a truck turbocharged, including tranny and all other things, I would want EVERY penny outa that system, you are on what your 4th try at this, no offense, but you claimed you could run 9's if you tried, well, do it then, dont say you "could have" then change your design...I am really confused where your truck is going at this point, is it a show truck now with 2 turbos for bling factor?

It seems like in general, its like the fast and the furious has just hit this site, back 2 years ago after that movie came out everyone had a turbo honda or eclipse, not everyone has turbo/super truck...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Staging Lane

It's because the technology and know-how is becoming better and more widespread. If I could afford a welder and some basic fabrication equipment I'd darn sure be trying to put something together right now...

Quick Reply: Turbo manifold idea...