FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo my truck??? beginners questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo my truck??? beginners questions

I've never given much thought to going FI with my truck. I always wanted to build a big N/A motor, but I can't argue with the results that people are having turboing these trucks, and I am really inpressed with the Trick front mount kit. That being said, I have some "Turbocharging for Dummies" type questions:

1.) I know that a typical boosted motor likes low compression. My 5.3 has somewhere around 9.9:1 comp due to the milled heads. How much boost could I run safely on 93 octane? 8psi?

2.) Is a TT3000 converter decent for a turbo? I know it isn't ideal, but is it detrimental?

3.) I also have 4.11 gears. Some turboed guys have higher gears. Why is this? I would think that the lower gears would help build rpms and therefore boost quicker. Am I missing something here?

4.) Truck intake or Vic Jr? I think that a front mount turbo setup with a Vic Jr. is one bad *** looking setup, but looks are secondary importance after performance.

5.) Turbo cams are usually reverse split and wide LSA. Why is that? That being said, why is the LS6 cam with a standard split such a good turbo cam?

6.) If I were to buy a Trick kit w/ intercooler, what other supplementary equipment is needed? Meth injection? Boost controller?

Thanks, this is just a dream at this point, but since the truck is out of commission right now I can't do anything but dream.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) I know that a typical boosted motor likes low compression. My 5.3 has somewhere around 9.9:1 comp due to the milled heads. How much boost could I run safely on 93 octane? 8psi?
I run ~8lbs and then some, so far so good.

2.) Is a TT3000 converter decent for a turbo? I know it isn't ideal, but is it detrimental?
The turbo guys say running a tighter stall will spool up the turbo faster but it'll be ok.

3.) I also have 4.11 gears. Some turboed guys have higher gears. Why is this? I would think that the lower gears would help build rpms and therefore boost quicker. Am I missing something here?
Yes, you want the resistance of the taller gearing to build boost.

4.) Truck intake or Vic Jr? I think that a front mount turbo setup with a Vic Jr. is one bad *** looking setup, but looks are secondary importance after performance.
Cant answer this one

5.) Turbo cams are usually reverse split and wide LSA. Why is that? That being said, why is the LS6 cam with a standard split such a good turbo cam?
Also can't answer but I know of only one reported use in turbo app. There are probably some better if not more expensive cam choices

6.) If I were to buy a Trick kit w/ intercooler, what other supplementary equipment is needed? Meth injection? Boost controller?
Haha....the list never ends, welcome to FI

Thanks, this is just a dream at this point, but since the truck is out of commission right now I can't do anything but dream.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Why would you want to turbo or supercharge a truck? Trucks are for helping your friends move.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Why would you want to turbo or supercharge a truck? Trucks are for helping your friends move.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4) Truck intake or Vic Jr? I think that a front mount turbo setup with a Vic Jr. is one bad *** looking setup, but looks are secondary importance after performance.

Victor Jr. supposedly hurts the low end but is increadible up top. Sacrifices I guess. I run a Vic Jr. with a turbo but haven't driven it hard yet, still getting broken in.

Longer intake duration promotes higher cylinder pressures is how it was explained to me. Also having alot of exhaust air rush through a small exhaust promotes velocity which helps spool the turbo.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Ain't that the truth. I just tell them, "I can't, the is tuned to the edge, it might ping if I put weight on it, lets just use my dad's truck."
Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Ain't that the truth. I just tell them, "I can't, the is tuned to the edge, it might ping if I put weight on it"
That's what I say....you wanna do what??
Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remember it's PERFORMANCEtrucks.net...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Victor Jr. supposedly hurts the low end but is increadible up top. Sacrifices I guess. I run a Vic Jr. with a turbo but haven't driven it hard yet, still getting broken in.
Come on man, get on it!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys!

So do you think that the 4.11s will really be a problem? Or will it just take longer to build boost? I really don't like the idea of getting the diff and gears set up again.

Spoolin', I'd like to hear you results with the Vic Jr v the truck intake. But you have an entirely new setup right? Probably not the best to make a comparison of the two if it is.

I have a 220/218 cam on a 111 LSA. Would this cam do as a turbo cam or would I be looking at cam #3?

Quick Reply: Turbo my truck??? beginners questions