FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo my truck??? beginners questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Spoolin', I'd like to hear you results with the Vic Jr v the truck intake. But you have an entirely new setup right? Probably not the best to make a comparison of the two if it is.
Yup, there's too many different mods to be able to make an educated comparison on one particular mod. But it get's into boost freaky fast. Which is a surprise since I have 4 or 5 things which are supposed to hurt my bottom end.
I think Rick@Synergy posted something about the pro's and cons of the Vic Jr. with a turbo. Wasn't a big detailed thing but he just made a comment on it. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your gears are fine and will not effect spool time. steeper gears = higher rpms sooner = spooler sooner. maybe not sooner in the rpms but sooner time wise and that is what matters. its just that you dont need steep gears on a turbo set up so most people dont get them. keeping the mileage from highway gears is a nice benifit of a turbo.

i would definately skip the intake for now. if your looking for 600 or 700+ then it might be worth it for the better distribution but you can worry about that a little later when/if you get up to that power level.

i dont like that cam at all for a turbo set up. i am sure it would run fine but the 111lsa is going to hurt you in a few ways. not real sure if the reverse split is that big of a deal but the low lsa and the overlap that will come with it is likely to hurt your power quite a bit.

a tighter stall will spool slower. the tt3000 will be a great converter till you start pushing thru it. if you mash the gas and the boost hits and you go right to 5500rpm(or even higher) and stay there thru the entire run then you might want to start looking for a converter that can hold back the power better. since it is a lock up you can lock it up once you hit 3rd gear or even sooner if you want to try it and maintain the eff up top. once again if you really push things later down the road. something with more lock up surface area is good with lots of power.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found it...posts 11 and 12.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=395331
Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i dont like that cam at all for a turbo set up. i am sure it would run fine but the 111lsa is going to hurt you in a few ways. not real sure if the reverse split is that big of a deal but the low lsa and the overlap that will come with it is likely to hurt your power quite a bit.

a tighter stall will spool slower. the tt3000 will be a great converter till you start pushing thru it. if you mash the gas and the boost hits and you go right to 5500rpm(or even higher) and stay there thru the entire run then you might want to start looking for a converter that can hold back the power better. since it is a lock up you can lock it up once you hit 3rd gear or even sooner if you want to try it and maintain the eff up top. once again if you really push things later down the road. something with more lock up surface area is good with lots of power.
Thanks for your input Jim. I had a feeling that the cam was not a good one for a turbo app. I had never even considered FI until recently. Good thing it is easy to swap cams in these trucks.

Maybe I'm being thick headed this morning, but could you explain what you mean about the tt3000 being a good converter until I start pushing through it?

Would this thing survive at a 450 hp/tq level?

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Thanks for the tip. Truck intake it is!

New question, does anyone know if there is a front mount kit made that keeps the cats in a near stock location, or am I asking too much? I gotta please the inspection people once every two years and I'd rather not do it by removing the kit.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 AM
single digit dreamer

that converter will be great at 450hp/tq level. it will rip off the line.

as you make more power the converter will stall higher and higher. what you dont want to do is stall right past the heart of your power. if you peek tq is at 5000rpm and your converter stalls right past that to 6000rpm(pushing thru) then you are missing out on the heart of your power curve. it is kind of a trade off since geting a converter that will hold back the power will probably flash a good deal lower and not give as good of 60' times. it would be ideal to find someone that can make a converter that can flash to 4000rpm but not push thru the rpms once the boost comes on. i dont think yank or even precision can make such a converter but it really doesn't become much of an issue till at least 500rwhp.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

that converter will be great at 450hp/tq level. it will rip off the line.

as you make more power the converter will stall higher and higher. what you dont want to do is stall right past the heart of your power. if you peek tq is at 5000rpm and your converter stalls right past that to 6000rpm(pushing thru) then you are missing out on the heart of your power curve. it is kind of a trade off since geting a converter that will hold back the power will probably flash a good deal lower and not give as good of 60' times. it would be ideal to find someone that can make a converter that can flash to 4000rpm but not push thru the rpms once the boost comes on. i dont think yank or even precision can make such a converter but it really doesn't become much of an issue till at least 500rwhp.
Great, thanks for the explaination!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

FL8Z71 had that converter in his truck with a 5.3 when he had the STS and it would push though to about 3800 with 12lbs of boost brake stalling it if I remember correctly. I have a DACCO reman trail blazer stall in my truck with a 4.8. Normal stall on it is around 2500, but I have brake stalled it to 10 psi of boost and it pushed all the way to 3300, which was just about right for me. Cut a 1.76 60' time in a 5500lbs 4x4 truck
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Neil Chance can make such a converter, but be prepared. $$$$$$$
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

i think your gears are fine and will not effect spool time. steeper gears = higher rpms sooner = spooler sooner. maybe not sooner in the rpms but sooner time wise and that is what matters.
Interesting, when you go over to ls1tech you hear the exact opposite. Most preach that higher gears will load the engine more which spools the turbo sooner (time).
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
single digit dreamer

rpm and airflow will get the turbo spining faster. i looser stall and low gears will give you that and get a quick spool. a tight stall sucks with a turbo that is on the bigish side.

Quick Reply: Turbo my truck??? beginners questions