FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I vote for a stock 4.8 and a decent turbo. Traction is gonna be an issue no matter what so no point in goin all out. A 4.8 can get you in the 10s in an S10 traction permitting.
Might wanna do something bout the lil 7.5" rear end tho. Pretty sure its gonna be hating life and end up in a few parts.

Plus with the shorter throw crank the 4.8 offers a little more detonation protection.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s10

As of rear end. not positive yet probably a 9''. tire on back trying to stick to the 8.5 radial. .
That will end up being pretty radical on a 5.3. You would be better off shooting for around 500-550 with a 5.3 if you care about reliability. What is your budget? I will tell you that with your power goals, if you want to stay on a budget you need to go with a 4.8 over the 5.3 if you want it to live. The other option would be to punch out a 6l to a 370 with forged pistons and rods. You could easily attain your goal reliably with a build of that type.
i have a local buddy that has just finished up his 370 with an 88 i believe. before then was a stock 5.3 with a 76 that put down almost 700. i just want something to put more then plenty of power to play with. would love to be a 10's truck minded all other points are taken care of, on top of nothing but reliable.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Justin - Red Dragon? He did well over 700. 828 to the wheel I believe, last I heard.

I agree with the suggestion of a 4.8 and a 70-76 mm turbo. Give it a good tune, keep fuel in check, and drive the **** out of it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

A stock low mile engine with a cam should last a really long time with a good tune and good fuel. A s10 weighs about 1500# less than a silverado so its not gonna have to be worked near as hard to run 10s.
Look at what foose is doin with his 4.8 in the regular cab silverado.
Just thro some head bolts or studs in it and go have fun.
Be a heck of alot cheaper than building a engine.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stock low mile engine with a cam should last a really long time with a good tune and good fuel. A s10 weighs about 1500# less than a silverado so its not gonna have to be worked near as hard to run 10s.
Look at what foose is doin with his 4.8 in the regular cab silverado.
Just thro some head bolts or studs in it and go have fun.
Be a heck of alot cheaper than building a engine.

This right here is probably your best and most cost effective option.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slammedsilvy
Justin - Red Dragon? He did well over 700. 828 to the wheel I believe, last I heard.

I agree with the suggestion of a 4.8 and a 70-76 mm turbo. Give it a good tune, keep fuel in check, and drive the **** out of it.
ya he did kick *** on that last setup. now with the new one watch out justin k. well as of the weekend there is nothing to worry about till next season. pos and cons of 4.8 vs 5.3?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by s1nners10
ya he did kick *** on that last setup. now with the new one watch out justin k. well as of the weekend there is nothing to worry about till next season. pos and cons of 4.8 vs 5.3?
other than the crank the 4.8 and 5.3 are identical. the shorter stroke of the 4.8 provides more resistance to detonation and is superior to the 5.3 when considering pushing them hard with a turbo.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive seen wayy too many "built" motors not last long, and not even out perform a stock motor.
To get your goals you can do it with a 5.3 or 4.8. So thats up to you.

Just let me know how you do your turbo setup
Ive gotta figure something out on mine when the time comes.
Prolly end up doin a rear mount unless i can figure out a way to route everthing under the hood. You dont have a whole lotta space to work with.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Ive seen wayy too many "built" motors not last long, and not even out perform a stock motor.
To get your goals you can do it with a 5.3 or 4.8. So thats up to you.

Just let me know how you do your turbo setup
Ive gotta figure something out on mine when the time comes.
Prolly end up doin a rear mount unless i can figure out a way to route everthing under the hood. You dont have a whole lotta space to work with.
s10? I had plenty of room up front with the sbc, for a turbo. but i had it sitting pretty far back. now all the plumbing will be an issue but it can be done. i honestly would like a low milage 5.3 run through it and put some arp into it. then slam it with some boost. what head gaskets are recomended. i think this will turn into another junkyard 5.3 build to see the limits.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea i was talking bout routing exhaust to the turbo and then room for a down pipe. Pretty tight with just swap headers.
Would be nice to build the hot side where the driver side went forward and around the engine to the passenger side. Might can make some room for a down pipe then.
All you would need is some head studs and try an find a 05 and newer so it would have the good rods in it.
If you have E85 in your area then your set!

Quick Reply: Turbo Questions