FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo smoke?

Hey guys,

I have a Turbonetics T76 BB turbo that smokes at idle and WOT. Setup is a forged 370 with trick front mount, -3 feed line and -10 drain to front of the timing cover. I used this turbo for about 5k miles on my STS kit with no problems and it started smoking the day I changed to the front mount. I shipped it back to turbonetics and they said it had a bad seal and rebuilt it. I put it back on and it smoked just as bad as before. Luckily I have a MP70 for a backup turbo so I swapped it on with no other changes and it has not smoked at all in the last 10k miles. Weird that a $500 dollar turbo doesn't smoke but a $1,700 BB turbo does. For pvc I have the intake blocked off and both valve covers ran into a catch can that is vented to atmosphere.

The only thing I can think of that would be different from the rear mount would be the scavenge pump but I don't want to have to go back to that unless I have to. Can I or should I use a restrictor on the feed line? Any Ideas?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Might need to put a restrictor in the oil feed line.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

You could check to see how much pressure is at the turbo, I would start there. I wouldnt think you would need to restrict a -3 feed. Does it smoke at idle? If so, as soon as the truck gets hot? Or as soon as you start the truck when its hot does it smoke? Does it smoke while out of boost while accelerating?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, does t have the tnetics filter restrictor thing on it?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
You could check to see how much pressure is at the turbo, I would start there. I wouldnt think you would need to restrict a -3 feed. Does it smoke at idle? If so, as soon as the truck gets hot? Or as soon as you start the truck when its hot does it smoke? Does it smoke while out of boost while accelerating?
It smokes at idle as soon as the truck starts warming up and when its in boost. It was bad enough that my truck was using a quart of oil every 500 miles or so. Since I went back to the mp70 it doesn't smoke and dosen't use a drop of oil between oil changes.

I haven't noticed any smoke while accelerating out of boost but it must have been a little to use that much oil.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, does t have the tnetics filter restrictor thing on it?
It does have the filter installed.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I would do some searching on tech, I would bet its oil pressure rated. My problems where, I have a thread over there you might look up as well. I would go to Ace hardware and rig u up a little T to put on the turbo with a gauge. Also find out what pressure T netics want. BB turbos typically take less oil pressure than your other turbo for example.

THen I would use a nitrous jet, and dial it in until it stops smoking
Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do some searching on tech, I would bet its oil pressure rated. My problems where, I have a thread over there you might look up as well. I would go to Ace hardware and rig u up a little T to put on the turbo with a gauge. Also find out what pressure T netics want. BB turbos typically take less oil pressure than your other turbo for example.

THen I would use a nitrous jet, and dial it in until it stops smoking
I looked through your post a while back. I talked to Turbonetics and they insisted that it is something wrong with my engine or setup. They told me not to use a restrictor and could not explain why the mp70 that cost $1,100 less didn't smoke.

I think I'm going to try a restrictor and see if it helps. The t76 has been sitting on the shelf for 8 months so if blows I will just throw it in the trash.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was about to suggest going with a bigger crankcase ventilation set up, but then you mentioned the MP70 not smoking. Just search on tech to see what size restrictors/jets people use and go from there...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

im using a .73 nitrous jet, or I drilled one to that size. I would bet you can go smaller. I would still really recommend throwin a T and gauge on there. Dont get crazy and smoke your turbo for no reason.

Quick Reply: Turbo smoke?