FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
im using a .73 nitrous jet, or I drilled one to that size. I would bet you can go smaller. I would still really recommend throwin a T and gauge on there. Dont get crazy and smoke your turbo for no reason.
I'm going to check the pressure at the turbo and if its high I'm going to try a .062 restrictor. I would really like to sell this turbo and get a gts76 but I don't want to sell it if there is an issue with it. I have heard of other people having some smoking problems with turbonetics but there wasn't anything really wrong with the turbo. Guess I will find out.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

im using a .73 nitrous jet, or I drilled one to that size. I would bet you can go smaller. I would still really recommend throwin a T and gauge on there. Dont get crazy and smoke your turbo for no reason.
How are you checking the oil pressure? I tried a t this evening but that doesn't really work since its only measuring back pressure of the oil that is backing up in the turbo.

I put a .062 restrictor on it and its not smoking so far. I'm going to drive it for the next couple of days and see if that fixed it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I think that's pretty much the best guess of pressure you can get. Since your return is free flowing, or close hopefully, that should represent a good ideal of pressure in the turbo. Put your jet in, and it will drop.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that's pretty much the best guess of pressure you can get. Since your return is free flowing, or close hopefully, that should represent a good ideal of pressure in the turbo. Put your jet in, and it will drop.
When I tried it I was only seeing 10psi so the return must be working pretty good. I unhooked the line from the turbo and just hooked the gauge for a couple of seconds and I'm feeding 50psi at warm idle. I put the restrictor on and drained into a bottle and it is still feeding a lot of oil so it should be fine that way. It wasn't smoking last night so hopefully the restrictor will take care of it.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the truck out and beat the hell out of it at 12psi today and no smoke so far. So far the restrictor is doing its job.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

IIRC thats a fairly large restrictor for a BB turbo, so I bet you will be fine. I use one slightly larger in mine, .073, and its a large frame BW.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

BB might have needed a larger drain hose. The -3 line at 50+psi is moving a good amount of oil.
The JB turbo is more like a cam bearing.
BB not really sure how they do their oil bathe ???
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Like I said in his other thread on Tech, Turbonetic BB turbos are only half BB. The compressor side is BB and the turbine is still a JB. If it's not smoking with the restrictor then
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the oil pressure today and it had 36psi at the turbo (hot idle) without the restrictor. With the restrictor it has 26psi (hot idle) at the turbo. I sat in traffic for over an hour today and no smoke with the restrictor.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Like I said in his other thread on Tech, Turbonetic BB turbos are only half BB. The compressor side is BB and the turbine is still a JB. If it's not smoking with the restrictor then
So far it seems to be working great. I drained the turbo into a bottle for a little and it didn't seem to lose much flow with the restrictor. It dropped 7-10psi but didn't change the actual volume that much. Hopefully it doesn't decide to

Quick Reply: Turbo smoke?