FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo system fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts alone are bank. Dont think about using steel either. Turbo parts should be made out of stainless. Thats where it gets costly. Turbos are about 1500 each for a good ball bearing unit, then you got intercooler, lots of piping to make it out of, coating, all misc fittings, and dont forget a good fabricators labor to do it all. Lots of hours plus lots of parts = money.

Rick
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed8
i dont see how it could be more expensive than buying a kit. i would think that buying all the necessary parts including the oil system the turbo and a bunch of pre-bent tubing could not possibly cost as much as it would if i bought through a company which has spent money on R&D and made a custom setup for my truck. i would be buying all the same parts they would be giving me, but without their markup so they can make a profit.

like i said i'm new to turbos but has anyone actually built their own and what did it cost?
yes you can buy tubing, and get to cutting. And yes you can put something together cheaper then my kit. No problem there. Until you take into account several things.
little parts, small trips to the parts house, ups bills, did not order enough tubing, order too much tubing. Then figure your electric bills, down time on the truck, and do not forget about your time. in the end if you build to the same quality you will find out you did not save that much money if any at all. I use to do everything myself, no matter what it was, rebuilding engines, trans, rearends, front ends,framing a shop, plumbing what ever I would do it myself. Now its cheaper to pay poeple to do it, time is money.
Good luck with the project, there is a lot of data on the this forum and poeple will help. Keep tabs on receipts and time.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
yes you can buy tubing, and get to cutting. And yes you can put something together cheaper then my kit. No problem there. Until you take into account several things.
little parts, small trips to the parts house, ups bills, did not order enough tubing, order too much tubing. Then figure your electric bills, down time on the truck, and do not forget about your time. in the end if you build to the same quality you will find out you did not save that much money if any at all. I use to do everything myself, no matter what it was, rebuilding engines, trans, rearends, front ends,framing a shop, plumbing what ever I would do it myself. Now its cheaper to pay poeple to do it, time is money.
Good luck with the project, there is a lot of data on the this forum and poeple will help. Keep tabs on receipts and time.
Well thank god I have more time on my hands than i know what to do with
Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Now its cheaper to pay poeple to do it, time is money.
BINGO! ... and they support this forum too!!! BEST of both worlds!

Bill