FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo for towing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is right foot control for sure. Cruising 75 i can get good boost with as little as 35% throttle. This is where meth comes in handy for sure. My egt's stay the same in and out of boost going up hill. i try to keep it at 0"/psi but its hard some times. I can make the boost needle climb and fall in sync with my right foot on a good grade. this is also why i like my 2bar/boost enrichment. my truck will add fuel for boost at low throttle %'s which helps keep egt's in check. You have to relearn to drive, with a turbo.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm loading up a video on you tube that I have of me in cruise control towing a 4,000 lbs trailer. It's a good video to see what the boost gauge is doing, and also the video was shot right at the beginning of the "Grape Vine" pass which is a pretty steep and notorious pass that separates Bakersfield from Los Angeles.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

can you put it on streetfire.net also? i can't view youtube at work.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 AM
GFYS and STFU

Things to note in the video (sorry if it's boring to some)
-Constant RPM's, they never change
-Boost gauge is at 6" of vacuum on the flats
-Once the steep grade comes into effect it varies from -1 to +2 psi
-Sounds of the turbo
-The fact that this is going up a steep incline, towing 4,000 lbs in a heavy *** truck and it's BARELY into boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntd76F264mY

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
can you put it on streetfire.net also? i can't view youtube at work.
I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Once again, boost is not created by RPM, turbo size, engine size or any of that alone. It is created by load, and load is created by the weight your trying to move, and the amount of throttle you give it.
I understand what your saying about boost being controlled by the load you put the engine under. However, I was under the impression that the size of the exhaust housing was a major variable when it comes to spooling the turbo. Another question; say I cam this motor and build it up to around 330-350 n/a rwhp after I have the turbo on and lined out. Due to the increase in n/a power of the engine itself, would the turbo begin to build boost at a higher TP% under the same conditions than previously, due to the increase in n/a hp resulting in less of a load being put on the built engine in comparison to stock?

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
You should never pull a heavy load in overdrive. You will want a .96 or larger a/r. One thing your torque curve will be completely different so you will be able to pull more easily. Egt is a must if your pulling. If you notice your egt going up and air fuel is fine just pull back on the throttle.
With a good tune and good foot controll you should have not problems.
I'm planning on running the MP T-70 .96a/r. What do you think of that turbo and size for my setup? Also, I was planning on running wideband, boost, and fuel pressure gauges on a Procharged setup. I'm starting to think it would it be wise to swap the fuel pressure gauge for an egt???

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
it is right foot control for sure. Cruising 75 i can get good boost with as little as 35% throttle. This is where meth comes in handy for sure.
Are you referring to when your towing, or just daily driving? I don't want to mess with spraying meth. I realize it helps, but I just want to keep it simple starting out. This truck should stomp on nearly anything around within reason, but it's main purpose is just being a truck. I'm still going to hunt, fish, tow, and daily drive it just like always. I just want to be able to turn heads and break hearts at will, also.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 AM
GFYS and STFU

You really need to have a friend let you drive his turbo'd vehicle. I don't think you understand it when you read and repeat that boost is built under LOAD. I'm assuming you've driven a supercharged vehicle before and you think the boost is similar to that. A/R housing is only important once the motor see's LOAD. Drive a turbo and you'll understand. You can tow whatever you want and cruise just fine and not be in boost.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Things to note in the video (sorry if it's boring to some)
-Constant RPM's, they never change
-Boost gauge is at 6" of vacuum on the flats
-Once the steep grade comes into effect it varies from -1 to +2 psi
-Sounds of the turbo
-The fact that this is going up a steep incline, towing 4,000 lbs in a heavy *** truck and it's BARELY into boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntd76F264mY
Nice, that makes me feel lots better. It's obvious when you start up the incline by the sound of the turbo spooling. On top of that, cruise isn't too generous when it comes to putting a load on the engine, at least in my truck. If I'm on cruise at 85mph empty, when I start to pull a steep hill, it always puts an excess load on my engine and sometimes will even drop it into 3rd if I don't switch the cruise off; but, if I switch it off and drive by the pedal, I can hold the same constant speed at probably 1/3 less tp%, all the while staying in overdrive at around 2300rpm and saving fuel. Seeing your truck make minimal boost on cruise at that speed on a grade makes me worry much less lol. What setup are you running in the vid?

And yea, I've driven a supercharged truck before. Never a turbo setup though other than a diesel. I'll be the only one around home that has one lol.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 AM
GFYS and STFU

Yeah diesel's don't count!! Let me see if I can't find another video that helps answer your questions...
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 AM
GFYS and STFU

This set-up was an STS rearmount. Was very good for what I used it for, when I started pushing it's limits than I decided to go front mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnZDwl0a6fE

This vid is done on a dyno, I'm at 3500 rpm's which is way past when I normally see full boost on a WOT run. Here I am just cruising at 80mph and then stomp on it and you can hear that when I go into boost. I wish that the boost gauge was in view but it isn't, but I can tell you that it was holding at 10 inches of vacuum until I floored it then it shot right up to 16psi. Again things to note...

- RPM's make no difference with regards to boost pressure
- no boost when there's little to no load (such as cruising/towing on fwy)
- RPM and speedometer acceleration as boost hits
- sound of turbo as it's just chillin at cruising speed
- sound of turbo as it starts to get loaded

Again if there's a determination for when and where boost hits it goes something like this... (Kyle correct me if I'm missing something or need to switch 2 and 3)
1) LOAD (your right foot)
2) Size of turbo
3) Size of A/R
4) Size of motor
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Are you referring to when your towing, or just daily driving? I don't want to mess with spraying meth. I realize it helps, but I just want to keep it simple starting out. This truck should stomp on nearly anything around within reason, but it's main purpose is just being a truck. I'm still going to hunt, fish, tow, and daily drive it just like always. I just want to be able to turn heads and break hearts at will, also.
i'm talking towing and DD. i use the **** out of my tahoe. the wife puts tons of town miles on it every day. i kept the awd for a good reason. its hard to do the breaking of hearts around here. i can't get anybody to race me anymore. i even have a sticker on the back glass that says "12 second grocery getter". i thought it would help get some bites but it don't.

i ran mine for the longest with out meth. 10psi daily no meth. i got the meth kit for free and i'm so glad i did. it really helps control egt's along with the cool iat's. and the other ton of benefits it has.

one thing is for sure. my truck is fat. 6050lbs fat. before i got the turbo on, i took a trip to arkansas from maryland. going through the appalachian mountains, my truck would have to unlock the tcc and some times even down shift just to keep speed. then i took the same trip not too long ago now that i have the turbo. i can honestly say i was able to go through the moutains with out ever having to down shift or unlock the tcc. it was so nice. at 0"/psi i could maintain speed and with as little as 1-2psi it would increase speed. all this at 30-35% throttle. now the grades aren't like alot of west coast grades but you get the point. i wasn't towing but i had the wife, 4 kids, my 100+lb dog and all the ludgage. i was prolly in the 7000lb range.

Quick Reply: Turbo for towing???