FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo for towing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:56 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the street fire vid for ya, takes a long time to load!!

Cruise control boost
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what gears do you have?

looks about like mine. sometimes my turbo will get to wistling like its boosting but still be at 0". i think it is pushing a lot of air into the motor but not enough to make positive pressure.

have you ever had cruise control go damn near wot on ya? mine did once. it was a little crazy, truck just took OFF!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummmm...I think at that time they were actually 4:10's or maybe 3.73's. I can't remember what they were at that time. I've never had my truck go WOT at cruise control, that's nuts!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah it scared the **** outa me. it was a steep hill and we were doing like 45-50mph. it didn't do it for long. it got to 50 pretty quick. lmao
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringin' this back from the dead, cause I think it's relevant...

So one argument that people use against using a turbo gas truck for towing is the high EGT issue. My question is, is this a real issue?

What do the new EcoBoost trucks do about it?

What is a high "safe" max for EGT's, and measured where?

I just can't help thinking that a KB kit on my LQ4/4L80E truck would be the best of both worlds. Fun DD, and great tow rig. I don't tow heavy. Rarely over 6500 lbs. I'm thinking if I didn't run more than 5 or 6 psi towing I should be ok if the tune is solid.

We have a fair bit of wind around here, and we run into the mountains for camping/quadding, so some extra grunt under load would be awesome.

Any more experiences with this since this thread died?

My truck is stock for about another week. Then its getting its first mods. Small I know, but first none the less. Exhaust and a tune. Brave first steps for a VW guy!
I know it won't satisfy me for long, so I'm thinking long term. Turbo next winter!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

if tuned correctly egt's shouldn't be an issue. but you don't want to be going wot with 6500 pounds up a steep grade. mine runs around 1200-1300 almost constantly. even when i was towing. an egt guage is a very good investment if your going to be towing with it. i'm not sure what the eco boost trucks do. what is there tow wieght rating? they may add a lot of fuel and back off boost. there is no telling. but i say tune tune tune is the most important part. watch the egt's if they climb out of control try adding timing or fuel or reducing timing. i say add timing because if its too low it will cause high egt's. i've seen it on my tahoe. i wanted to be "safe" when i first put on the turbo and my egt's were high as ****. the fuel was right on the money and i couldn't figure it out. so i decided to add some timing and sure enough down they went.

and like it was said before, while towing boost is going to be regulated by your right foot. keep the tcc locked up and use your right foot. alot of times when i'm towing if i get into some steep stuff i will use my lap top to keep the tcc locked and just choose gears through the logger. it keeps the trans temps down and the rpms up so it can pull nicely.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 AM
Teching In

I tow 13,500lbs of Travel trailer with 7000lbs of truck on occassion with TT 8.1L CC Allison keep it TowHaul mode (locks TC early in 3rd,4th,5th) no prob staying in Overdrive till steep inclines then I just push OD lockout it drops to 4th. Only time boost shows up if I accelerate uphill or to pass quickly. I usually pedal it to no more than 3psi. Have towed 3200lbs (car+trailer) distance central Texas to Georgia and almost never got into boost.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by arv8100
Have towed 3200lbs (car+trailer) distance central Texas to Georgia and almost never got into boost.
I guess that's part of the issue for me though. You have a big block, I've got a small block. Many posts about towing with turbos focus on how to drive to not tow in boost.

I WANT the boost to help with towing.

I'm gathering that if I'm careful, and look after my equipment as is my habit, I won't have a problem. I have no need to go WOT rarely if ever now, I'd just like to be able to pull hills in 3rd, with the TCC locked, at 2800 rpm, instead of 2nd, TCC unlocked at 4500 rpm. Sounds like it may work??
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I towed with my truck more than i didnt when i had the turbo.
The STS kit with the Garrett 60mm. Towed everything up to a 16k# ditchwitch.
Boost helps alot, but there are times you can downshift one gear and pull hills and such and never get in boost.
Longest tow was when we moved my sister and her husband to Kentucky, 700miles. i was the lucky one that got to pull the trailer. I had just put the Isky cam in and hadnt had time to dial the tune in. The first 250 miles i went thru 2 gallons of meth and only got 9mpg. Got dad to drive and fixed the tune, the rest of the way i got 17mpg and only used 3 more gallons of meth.
So make sure the tune is dialed in for whatever you plan on doin. My AFR was 11.0-11.2 from about 4psi/3500rpm + .
And i have run it up to 6200rpms at 6psi towing 5700#, 5 4x4 4wheelers on a 20' Dovetail. Embarrassed a older Tundra pulling a long hill and all he had was a 12' trailer and a grizzly. he was pissed cause i had 5 people, gear, fuel, tools and the trailer plus the wastegate was on his side.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

I tow with my truck all the time. I run it in boost quite a bit also. I honestly don't know what my egt's are (I think I will actually install my egt gauge that is sitting here), but I run up the hills with my foot into the power. I am usually only towing 5-6k (4 sleds with fuel on a 2 axle trailer). I get around 14-16mpg and I usually travel a few hundred miles every weekend.
I had been running my sts setup for 3 years doing this. I just recently swapped to a front mount mainly because my wastegate kept freezing shut and it took a while of running down the road to get it to thaw. That and I was going through oil pumps from the cold.
Anyways I am a firm believer that the good luck I have had has been from keeping the iat's under control. I put in the biggest intercooler that I personally could handle installing. I got a 31x12x3 ebay i/c. It works awsome. I did have to notch out my frame and I also boxed in the frame to fill in the hole. I think if I did it again I would go with a 4" thick since it would fit just as well. I even went as far as to put two 10" electric fans on the i/c and they are controlled by a manual switch in my overhead console. Works great.
I love towing with turbo'd boost! I drive my kenworth to prudhoe bay from fairbanks 2 or 3 times a week, and I only wish those turbos ran the same.