FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo tuning

well im going turbo on my truck and ive never done a turbo truck before but im determined to learn. it seems the more i read the more confused i get.

does anybody have any tips for me on my first time tuning for turbo, or any steps i should follow? Evan better if someone has a base HPtuner setup for turbo would be great!! i dont know much about 2.5 bar and 3 bar so enlighten me on any turbo tuning information please!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to pick what system you want to run with... ie. maf, open loop closed loop, 2 bar, 3 bar....
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your not helping at all dusty!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Your not helping at all dusty!
But he's right
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo can be simple, yet complicated as hell. if this is ur first time do some research and find out what kind turbo setup u gonna run, and as far as tuning get it tune from professional first time + dyno tuning.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I kno exactly what kind of turbo system I'm going to run , as far as tuning I've
Ben tuning my truck na/nitrous fir about a year I'm just new to tuning speed density and don't kno how hard tuning 2bar or 3bar is.

If I could get a basic tune it would help alot
Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by slowlsx
I kno exactly what kind of turbo system I'm going to run , as far as tuning I've
Ben tuning my truck na/nitrous fir about a year I'm just new to tuning speed density and don't kno how hard tuning 2bar or 3bar is.

If I could get a basic tune it would help alot
Once you jump to forced induction of any sort, I WOULD NEVER EVER WANT A TUNE FROM SOMEONE ELSE TO START WITH. You will end up doing more work in the end and the likelihood of damage being done is much greater.

So you are familiar with MAF tuning? and have a idea about Speed Density. Well Sweet, you already know to tune it basically...

First the 2/3 bar... All the operating system does is make the V.E table bigger and adds another enrichment table (boost enrichment), the 2 bar version offers a V,E that is capable of reading twice atmospheric pressure, and three bar is three times atmospheric, so the question is "How much boost are you going to need to hit your goal?" Also with these custom operating systems, you will loose the ability to tune with the maf!!!

Speaking of goals, what is your hp/track time/or mph at which tire spin in constant?

Now the next part, how often do you want to tune? do you want a tune that is a bit more conservative but doesn't need much adjusting for weather and altitude? Or do you want mean best right at the line max horse power that may require tuning updates more often?

MAF,

The maf is only good for 5xx horse power. that is a lot, but not in a 5,000 pound truck. You make get tired of 500 hp after a few months/weeks/days/hours. After that you are tuning "blind" and relying on rpm, people have done it in the past, however I believe in making tables accurately show what is going on and not trying to "fool" the pcm...

Open loop vs Closed loop

Closed loop is the term used to describe the PCM's logic when the pcm relies on 02 sensor voltages to accurately correct the air/fuel ratio back to stoichiometric (14.68) for each bank. The PCM also employ Fuel trims to "retain" this "knowledge".

Open loop is when the PCM relies on maf/ve/fuel tables only to measure air/fuel. The fuel trims have no NEGATIVE affect during this time. The PCM will only add fuel from the trims (if this option is turned on in the tune)

Short and sweet;

Short term: adjusts for the present, forgets after "key-off"

Long Term: retains a percentage of short term adjustment (10% I believe) and applys it. Long term retains info after "key-off"

"Power Enrichment" is operated in open loop.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 09-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhhh much better!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Ahhhh much better!
ooo, shut-up and go air up your tire butter boy
Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wilde, my goal is to run low 11's possibly 10's ...... I plan to push the 5i.3 to it's limit with a Borg Warner s475,75 shot for lag, meth, and around 15-18psi depending on how much is heeded. I beleive I have everything to make it run my goal which is a 10 in a 5.3 such as the right gear, good matching converter,custom turbo cam.

I should need around 600-700 to be able to reach my goal. I want to learn how to tune 3bar with this 5.3 because I will build a 370once I'm comfturable with tuning 3bar. I'm still a little skeptical about tuning it but I'm gathering information and if I'm comfturable I'll go for it.

I guess I want to start off with a conservative tune an go from there.

Quick Reply: Turbo tuning