FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want mean best right at the line max horse power that may require tuning updates more often?

That is were I eventually want to be at. I don't mind making adjustment every time I go to the track, I want max potential.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go 3-bar SD right now. Then when the kit goes on, just refuel it a bit. I ran 2-bar SD NA for a while. Just trying to have less to do when the turbo was ready. 2 bar is good for around 14psi, just so thats noted.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only difference between the 2, and 3 bar besides the ovius map limit, is the 3 bar looses resultion in the v.e table...

With those types of goals you are looking like a good Open loop speed density 2/3 bar type of tune..

Tuning 2 bar you use the same technique as you would tuning a 1 bar v.e table. I would recommend getting use to using the air fuel error histogram in the logging software...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The only difference between the 2, and 3 bar besides the ovius map limit, is the 3 bar looses resultion in the v.e table...

With those types of goals you are looking like a good Open loop speed density 2/3 bar type of tune..

Tuning 2 bar you use the same technique as you would tuning a 1 bar v.e table. I would recommend getting use to using the air fuel error histogram in the logging software...

I am familliar with the afr error hisotgram. Getting started is always the hard part, other than that I think I can probly do it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-74776/. This map sensor shows it's good for 29psi... You guys had said 2bar is good for only 15psi?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowlsx
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-74776/. This map sensor shows it's good for 29psi... You guys had said 2bar is good for only 15psi?
I think its because atmosphere is 14.5psi, and then you add ~14psi of boost and your at the limit.

Correct guys?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

we read abosolute. So yes one bar is good for NA. Two bar sees up to 14.7 psi,over atmospheric pressure, depending on elevation. And three bar is around 30 psi.

Like WIlde said you loose some resolution with 3 bar. Because you have 0-5 volts representing a wider range.

So yeah that thing reads 29psi, but over 14 of that is just the atmospheric pressure
Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
we read abosolute. So yes one bar is good for NA. Two bar sees up to 14.7 psi,over atmospheric pressure, depending on elevation. And three bar is around 30 psi.

Like WIlde said you loose some resolution with 3 bar. Because you have 0-5 volts representing a wider range.

So yeah that thing reads 29psi, but over 14 of that is just the atmospheric pressure

oHHH now i get it! im learning more as i go ....... once you start to understand whats going on it doesnt seem as hard.

now i kinda feel better about tuning a 3bar i have a few more questions for you guys

1. should i use any 3bar map sensor or is there a gm that i can get or do they evan make a 3bar GM ?

2. what steps should i go about tuning 3bar? should i start of a low low boost and adjust what first?

afr error,ve tables,timing,PE,BE..... then tranny and shift point adjustmennts?

once after that i can bump up the boost?

let me know if im going in the right direction.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Gm doesnt make a three bar. I would Just make the Ve in the 100+ kpa range rich and lean it out useing AFR error. Tune all the way up to high boost. When tuning the high kpa area you have to be in PE, err at least commanding 11.5ish or whatever you decide to run.

Tranny tuning should be independent of fueling tuning and sholdnt make too much of a difference
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Gm doesnt make a three bar. I would Just make the Ve in the 100+ kpa range rich and lean it out useing AFR error. Tune all the way up to high boost. When tuning the high kpa area you have to be in PE, err at least commanding 11.5ish or whatever you decide to run.

Tranny tuning should be independent of fueling tuning and sholdnt make too much of a difference
GOTCHA, now another question i have is how often do you adjust a 3bar tune?
does it depend on the weather or does it go out of wack often?
if its humid do you go richer or leaner?
vice versa for if its not humid?

Quick Reply: Turbo tuning