FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo tuning with Autocal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo tuning with Autocal

Is it possible/wise to tuned a boosted car with Autocal? My nearest tuner is several hundred miles away and they have already proved they can't do a simple mail order tune in a timely fashion and their customer service absolutely blows.

Justin at Blackbear however has been very helpful so far and he says it's possible to tune a boosted car with Autocal, but I am skeptical. Can Autocal even log wideband AFR? The convenience factor of Autocal is huge. I am also looking to enable lean cruise, which I think is only possible with EFIlive.

Thoughts? Concerns?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He did some tuning on mine. Nonnie selman already had it close though. For him to read the wideband you have to wire the output on it to the egr pin in the pcm. Justin can read afr through that. Only thing that's bad is the down time for him to get to it. He is pretty busy. That's why I just ordered v2 and I can start fine tuning myself.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I would ideally like to tune myself but I have never done it before on a car and would be scared to blow it up. I have done tuning on my Buell, but that's a different animal.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Yeah I would ideally like to tune myself but I have never done it before on a car and would be scared to blow it up. I have done tuning on my Buell, but that's a different animal.
If you take small steps, read as much as you can and not afraid to ask questions you can start tuning on your own. Make VERY slight changes and save each step so if you start going in the wrong direction you always have something to go one step back to what worked.

I was lucky in that I had Roger (aklowriderz71) tune all my vehicles up till recently when I bought HP Tuners through him. He is still helping me tune but since I have gotten HP Tuners I have learned tons and am getting more and more comfortable.

I would pick it up and start data logging and asking as many questions as you can. If you are unsure what something does, don't change it till you know. I was nervous as hell when I first start making changes but the more you do it and the more time you spend on it the more comfortable you get.

Biggest thing is take your time. I already started rushing once and was lucky I didn't cause any damage when I did a WOT run...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have my turbo truck tuned through Blackbear/Autocal right now.

This was the first i've heard of being able to log the wideband through the EGR pin and if you do go this route I highly suggest you do.

Since I dont have this set up I was just emailing Justin what I was seeing on the wideband and it took four or so retunes to get me dialed in up to 7psi with about a week of downtime in between each tune.

The out of boost driving was perfect on the first retune but the in boost was crazy lean (low 13s). Each tune progressively got richer.

In my opinion, I would use a mail order to get you running, get everything set up the way you want and make the trip to your tuner.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone else?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I know you are looking to turbo, but BBP actually sells superchargers with a base tune to start you off...I don't see why it would be a problem for them to get you dialed in pretty close with a turbo...it will take about a week for each tune adjustment to come through, but I'm sure it will work out fine...and if you aren't 100% satisfied, you could always wait for a BBP tuning meet to show up near your area and tune it in person...Patience will be key...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you plan on any boost or nitrous, Tuning yourself is the key.

Theres several guys on here that wouldnt mind helping you.

Its not hard at all once you get the hang of things.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tuning software is worth every penny.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are there fellow DIY tuners here with turbo tunes they are willing to share to serve as a baseline tune?

Quick Reply: Turbo tuning with Autocal