FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

turbo's and big blocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo's and big blocks

Just browsing the site I'm always seeing someone starting a small block turbo project, planning one out, or modifiying a current setup. Thats all fine and good but I've rairly if ever seen a big block setup. Is there any certain reason why you don't see many big block turbo setups? Superchargers seem to be the norm, and of course some nasty NA motors but no turbos. Occassionaly there will be an outlandish twin turbo big block marine setup on ebay but really nothing as far as streetable turbo setups, turbo headers, ect. Just curious.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive Built Quite A Few.... Normally They End Up Going Outlandish In Notime... Big Block Are Great With Turbo's.... The Do Move Alot Of Air Though.... So The Parts Tend To Get A Lil More Expensive.... Then Again.... Im Always Trying Something Stupid And Taht Could Be Why Mine Always End Up So Expensive
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

When comparing parts such as a Gen I small block forged stroker kit vs. a Gen IV or V big block stroker kit there's only around 300 dollars difference. Not only are you getting more cubes for that 300 bucks difference, the block itself is just insanely beefy compared to a small block. When I tore down the vortec 350 long block I got my vortec heads off of I was shocked at how tiny the internals are. Its amazing they hold up to 400 hp, let alone 600+ like some guys are making. When it comes down to it I believe a big block using a stock block casting can be built to produce more power and cost significantly less then it would to build a small block of similar power. I'm talking about something in the 900 to 1000 hp range. Again just getting some ideas here of whats what.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by oldred95
When comparing parts such as a Gen I small block forged stroker kit vs. a Gen IV or V big block stroker kit there's only around 300 dollars difference. Not only are you getting more cubes for that 300 bucks difference, the block itself is just insanely beefy compared to a small block. When I tore down the vortec 350 long block I got my vortec heads off of I was shocked at how tiny the internals are. Its amazing they hold up to 400 hp, let alone 600+ like some guys are making. When it comes down to it I believe a big block using a stock block casting can be built to produce more power and cost significantly less then it would to build a small block of similar power. I'm talking about something in the 900 to 1000 hp range. Again just getting some ideas here of whats what.

YES ITS TRUE... BBC IS WAY MORE EASY TO BUILD POWER.... EVERYONE ON HERE KNOWS YOU WANT GOOD POWER DITCH THE 4.8/5.3 GO 6.0....

MORE CUBES MAKES MORE POWER....

MY BBC 454 MAKES MORE POWER ON 7 PSI BOOST THAN A 5.7....

BUT THERE ARE WEIGHT PENALTIES NOT TO MENTION BIGGER TURBOS ARE NORMALLY NEEDED TO FLOW THE HIGHER VOLUME OF AIR TO MATCH THE SAME EFFICIENCY TAHT YOU ARE GETTING WITH THE SMALLER HOUSINGS ON A SMALL BLOCK...

EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN BUILD WAY MORE POWER WAY EASIER WITH MORE CUBES.. DUNNO WHY THEY DONT.... MAYBE THE MONEY... MOST ON HERE ARE RUNNING THE NEW GENIII MOTORS. WHICH TO MAKE EM MUCH BIGGER TAKES A BIT OF MONEY.... AND RUNNING A OLD STYLE BBC IS KINDA DIFFICULT.... I GUESS A RCSB 8.1 WOULD BE COOL TO SEE, OR A RCSB DMAX WOULD BE BITCHEN TOO..... JUST GOTTA GET SOMEONE WITH THE AMBITION
Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Most guys that are serious can push in excess of 1000hp with a turbo small block, so the need to go to a big block isn't there. Anything more than 1000hp on the street is just stupid-crazy. Remember with the new LSX block, you'll be seeing small blocks in excess of 454 with no weight penalty.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yea thats kind of what I noticed. There really isn't any bolt on turbo kits or things of that nature for the 98 and older stuff, more then likely because the blocks and bottom ends just aren't strong enough to be putting those kind of power adders on them. Then Gen III's and their 6 bolt mains are virgin material to work with and can handle a lot more on a stock bottom end. Thats pretty much how I see it. And I understand why it wouldn't be practical to go back to an old school BBC block in a newer truck. I guess there just needs to be more turbo'd OBS trucks. I hope to be a contributor to the cause someday.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
Yea thats kind of what I noticed. There really isn't any bolt on turbo kits or things of that nature for the 98 and older stuff, more then likely because the blocks and bottom ends just aren't strong enough to be putting those kind of power adders on them. Then Gen III's and their 6 bolt mains are virgin material to work with and can handle a lot more on a stock bottom end. Thats pretty much how I see it. And I understand why it wouldn't be practical to go back to an old school BBC block in a newer truck. I guess there just needs to be more turbo'd OBS trucks. I hope to be a contributor to the cause someday.
its mostly because the gen3 trucks are sooooo much easier to tune than the tbi/vortec trucks, yes the gen3 blocks/bottom end are much better than the tbi/vortec versions but i think its mostly tuning

fyi, i think trick may be working on a front mount setup for the 97-99 tbi trucks
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

also another reason, at least with the 8.1L, there are not many performance parts made for it save a supercharger kit.....so in the new trucks anyway, puting a gen III big block (8.1L 496 being the only one) in is not the way to go if you want to get internal with the motor at all, otherwise you have to have custom stuff made which is EX$PEN$IVE!!!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We're currently building a twin turbo, 68 RR which is capable of 1750 hp on the low side and 2300 on the high. Custom built Chevy Power Glide to back it up.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Will that be in a truck?!?

Quick Reply: turbo's and big blocks