FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Twin Berserkers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
If a magnet sticks, it is lower grade stainless, not a true stainless steel alloy.Some 300 series stainless steels still attract magnet slightly but you will tell the diffrence. 400 staimnlees steel grades area great but have even more steel in them than 300 series. 400 series is typically used in knives and suting blades. There are so many diffrent alloys os stainless you ould talk about them, their properties and uses for hours on end.
Wouldn't that be fun?!?!?!?!
The bold part of your statement is incorrect but I agree with the balance. For exhaust pipes I would not use a 400 series but the 400 series is no less a stainless steel than any 300 or Ph steels.

Stainless steel is a misnomer. The actual name for these metals is "corrosion resistant" steels. They must contain chromium to be a part of this family. Some contain more chromium and high nickel which make them more resistant to corrosion but less hard. All SST is steel.
400 series steels are hardenable, which 300 series is not.

Yes, I probably could go on for a while Sorry to hijack

PS: You can make a magnet stick to a 300 series by work hardening.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks that you got ripped off, its happened to me but on much smaller scales. Hopefully you can get it resolved soon if you havent already. I cant wait to see the final product
Old 04-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Sick truck man. Hope you get this figured out. Also hope all is well with the motor.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trever1t
The bold part of your statement is incorrect but I agree with the balance. For exhaust pipes I would not use a 400 series but the 400 series is no less a stainless steel than any 300 or Ph steels.

Stainless steel is a misnomer. The actual name for these metals is "corrosion resistant" steels. They must contain chromium to be a part of this family. Some contain more chromium and high nickel which make them more resistant to corrosion but less hard. All SST is steel.
400 series steels are hardenable, which 300 series is not.

Yes, I probably could go on for a while Sorry to hijack

PS: You can make a magnet stick to a 300 series by work hardening.
You are correct sir, still many PH and duplex stainless steels can be work hardened as well, 300 series does not work harden as readily nor can it ever be made as hard as a stainless allot with a lot of carbon in it. High carbon steels and stainless steels are the type that will harden to vaying degrees up to high 60's HRC in some cases, depends how how they are heat treated and drawn back or cooled down.
Some s.s. alloys will work harden at the surface of the material given enough friction from machining or grinding, this leads to impurities precipitating to the surface which can cause corrosion problems or issues with coating being applied. Some materials are pasivated before being processed in follow up coating or other treatments to remove the impurities at the surface.
Not a metalurgest here so forgive me if any thing I have stated is slightly off.

Back to the thread.
Any updates on this craziness??
I've been waiting on this truck's progress almost as long as Grippy's adventure.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Here's a little pneumonia-free update:

I've come to an agreement with the original coater and am just waiting for the final resolution. The hot parts are getting a nice molten ceramic + high temp paint. The cold parts are still up in the air (I need to fix one pipe anyway -- it rubs with the stupidly lowered stance I did in the front (5+ inches up there) even with the narrow tires.

I'm still trying to work out why the turbos blow oil... I may need to rerun a few oil lines and/or move the pumps... Or maybe just put on a restrictor
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Just got back from a long drive in the truck -- still have a few oil gremlins to chase down, and I can clearly remember loosening one of the charge tube couplers when I was adjusting the fitment of the turbos, but never retightened, which is probably why 3.2psi = max wot today lol.

I had a good bit of fun and scared the bejebus out of a little old lady who was next to me at a light, but, heh, that's what you get for sitting next to me on the first day I could drive it
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it's about time Eric. I always say that my first motorcycle ride of the year(after a long cold winter) is like having sex again for the first time.
Let me know about your elec. garage service...I have some tunning issues I would like you to check when you get some time.

Last edited by Doobie; 05-21-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweeeeeet!!!! vids ASAP....

-Rob
Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear she's back on the road!! Get that coupler back up and snug and lets find out what she can do huh!!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Glad to hear she's back on the road!! Get that coupler back up and snug and lets find out what she can do huh!!
ITS OK ERIC.... HES ONLY TALKING BECAUSE HIS IS "FINALLY" DONE

Quick Reply: Twin Berserkers