FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Twin Charged, Compound boost with BW S475 Turbo and TVS 1900 Blower

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dunno how your goin to get a TVS to feed the turbo.......
Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
On a compound setup would it have not been easier to have the supercharger feed the turbo? Since the supercharger is limited to the engine RPM and the turbo's only limit is air flow. Wouldn't that have been easier to work into a compund setup
How is a manifold type blower going to feed a turbo since it blows directly into the top of the engine?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I type slow, lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

How would a sequential turbo setup compare to this?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loud5.3
I type slow, lol.
haha 2 mintues.... good try
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Originally Posted by loud5.3
How is a manifold type blower going to feed a turbo since it blows directly into the top of the engine?
Actually it's been done and the only production twin charged engine in the world is blower feeding the turbo. It's not a Eaton or manifold type obviously but that's how it's done by the OEM people.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't I say, wouldn't a compound setup be easier to make with a centrifical blower than a positive displacement roots? I thought I said that in my post, if I didn't that is what my question was. Couldn't you make a Vortec feed a turbo and that would have been easier to make compound work effectively
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
no title here

Or, if you wanted to use a PD blower use the side mounted KB blowers or Whipple and have them feed straight into the turbo then into the intake. But my only question with that is would the pressurized air feeding into, and the exhaust gas not being equal be an issue. Obviously the boosted air feeding into the turbo would have more volume than the exhaust spinning the other side of the wheel (I think) so would that create an issue? I am very curious about getting this to work and was at my Dr office the other day waiting for them and thinking and was curious about that. Usually the intake side of the turbo is pull air from the atomsphere at a speed dictated by the compressor wheel, I didn't know if that air was pressurized if that would work
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

As long as the centrifugal supercharger was sized (or had an variable speed drive system - at off idle to a pre-determined rpm, blower would spin at X/1 ratio to the standard pulley ratio, then exponentially decrease as the rpm on the drive pulley got the turbine wheel up to speed in it's efficiency range) to build boost earlier than the turbo in the rev range it would probably work fine.

Something like a mini CVT system. Also, the blower should help to supply the compressor wheel with intake air, so that the exhaust gasses are not doing all of the work in compressing the low rpm charge. Hence, less lag.

Think about it, it would be the same as if the turbo inlet was open to atmosphere (with filter of course) and the pressure of atmosphere was 1.5 Bar (an arbitrary figure for example sake), or 21.75 psi, rather than the known 1 Bar that exists in nature. That in effect would be like 7.25 psi of boost from a upstream compressor in the intake tract. Granted, with the compressor in the intake tract you are going to see higher IAT's as well, unless you have an aftercooler on the superchargers outlet that operates at 100% efficiency (fat chance!).

Last edited by ForcedTQ; 07-23-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
no title here

I was just thinking it would be easier to feed the turbo instead of the blower. Since the rotors will only spin as fast as the motor and that and air flow is it's limitation. The turbo, is controlled and limited only by air flow. I don't have a dog in the fight, just thinking and curious to hear some theories.

Quick Reply: Twin Charged, Compound boost with BW S475 Turbo and TVS 1900 Blower