Twin Turbo Build....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
850 on nitrous or all boost?

Mic ought to have a good time that, time to tub the *** end
I don't know, I guess it puts out what it puts out, I'd be happy with 850hp on both. We're using the zex truck kit, just from past installations, these kits work great, I love'em, but they seem to lay down numbers based on crank hp.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Blankets function to retain heat or remove from engine bay? Perhaps I missed it.

How true. Awesome build. So Wed. came & went; track details?
I guess both, they helped tremendously with under temps, and they do retain the heat, which gets the turbos going quicker.

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
WOW Allen I think you took my comments as a putting yall down. not in the least I was asking a question nothing more nothing less.I hope mine will put those numbers down once I can get it running and tuned.
I think I did, lol, my bad!

btw, going twins is a whole new world, these turbos feel like they're hardly working, you can't hear them spool, even with open down pipes, they spool up quick, and are very quiet; however the exhaust is a bit noisey. The truck just feels like it's breathing and not choked up anymore. I think 20psi might make these twins sing a little.
It pulls endlessly as well, no flat spot on the dyno.

A little more testing, more wrapping, and maybe we'll make it to the track.

thanks,
allen
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
...We used a small hotrod 3" by 12" cylindrical reservoir for the tank, it's mounted next to the radiator, like the old hotrods have...
Doesn't it have to be above the heater core? A pic of how it's mounted would be just swell.
And what about something like a couple of those f-body or Corvette, I don't remember, snorkels that bring fresh air over the top of the radiator to the intake?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
Thanks,
Blankets are a must on this setup, helped out a lot on the single too, definitely recommend it.
We used a small hotrod 3" by 12" cylindrical reservoir for the tank, it's mounted next to the radiator, like the old hotrods have.

Hitting the track this wed.
thats what i was thinkin about doin with mine. got a picture of it by any chance? nice #'s by the way!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Doesn't it have to be above the heater core? A pic of how it's mounted would be just swell.
And what about something like a couple of those f-body or Corvette, I don't remember, snorkels that bring fresh air over the top of the radiator to the intake?
You know, that's what we thought. I just wanted something that would catch the fluid incase it spilled over.
Well it turns out that having it mounted below and next the rad isn't causing any issues. We also though the cap had to be somehow vented, this cap is sealed air tight, no valve, and it's working fine lol.

The bottom of the tank has a spill over tube, we just capped it off.

I'll post something up soon,
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw this...NICE JOB!! Need some vids of it on the dyno or track! What size turbo's? Apparently I missed the post where it says it. Also built 6L or stocker?

Edit: never mind I just read his sig.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Just saw this...NICE JOB!! Need some vids of it on the dyno or track! What size turbo's? Apparently I missed the post where it says it. Also built 6L or stocker?

Edit: never mind I just read his sig.

They are MasterPower T76's, .96 housings. 3" downpipes, 2.5" compressor side.
Not sure exactly what's been done to the 6L, other than pressurized lol.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
GFYS and STFU

I'd be interested to see what the backpressure is in the hot side since you were saying they don't seem to be working too hard to make boost. Any chance you'll hook something up?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I'd be interested to see what the backpressure is in the hot side since you were saying they don't seem to be working too hard to make boost. Any chance you'll hook something up?
I can do that, but give me some info on rear mounted setups, single front mounts with large and small turbos and various sized downpipes so we know what we're comparing.
There's not much back pressure, or can't be too much, .96 housing, 3" down pipes, they seem to be matched just right..

Get some info on other stuff, I'll get info on this one and we'll see what compares, I'd be interested as well.

thanks,
Old 07-05-2009, 02:37 PM
GFYS and STFU

Typical is 3:1 or 4:1 hotside vs cold side. Inefficient set-ups get to 5:1 or more. Really good is around 2:1 and then there's Dusty who's seeing close to 1:1 with his Borg Warner 5" downpipe monster.