FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

twins and intake dyno today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
The elbow your refering to has basically a square cross section correct?
Maybe an oval or round cross section would flow better. Maybe we need one of our braniac engineers to chime in on flow dynamics, square vs round vs oval.
I have read a few things on exhaust header design where a flattened round tube outflowed a similar area round tube. I know I'm talking exhausts here, but we are not talking NA intake here, it's FI, the flow dynamics are different from NA for sure.
Pulled air vs. forced air is a big difference and airflow matters on a NA. Any restrictions on a NA engine and you will see a loss in hp. A good example is a CAI....you gain hp b/c you have lessened the restriction of air baffles...etc.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i like driving the truck and need to keep that in mind. with the extra top end i have right now at the high boost i would think it has a nine in it and i have another month or so to try and get to the track. after that i need to decide if i want a "race" truck or a driver and then match up my parts a little better. .
Man keep that truck as your toy and driver. If you want to go faster start building another truck. Sure it will cost and take some time, but you will still have your daily driver . Trust me, keep the truck as is.
Street truck that hauls *** and is fun drive any time.
Race truck, that hauls *** and is fun to drive AT the track.

Everyone that I ever talked to that made their street vehilce into a race vehicle wish they would have just build another car, or just enjoyed what they had.

O yea, good luck on your quest.

Ricky
Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

The idea about the intake elbow is to have the throttle blade after the elbow to interupt the airflow and straighten it out when it enters the manifold. This may help the air charge from being pushed against the back of the elbow and keep it from filling the rear cylinders more than the front. Its good to hear that the bugs are getting worked out, at this HP level some simple things become a science. Good luck on the truck and getting into the 9s!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
single digit dreamer

right now i am thinking my whole loss of power might be the race fuel wich i didn't have before. i am going back to the dyno on saturday to play with the timing and see what that does. harlen told me every 2deg should be worth about 40hp if you are maxed out allready. with that in mind 2-3deg might just put me even down low on the hp and way up on hp up top.

i was looking for a rule of thumb on how much timing you need to add for race fuel just to be back to where you started with pump gas but no one wants to guess on that one. another thing i am trying to figure out is i know you should have your lowest timing at peek tq then ramp up to your max rpm, well how much more timing at max rpm vs peek tq should you try and tune in?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

When I talked to a tech at edelbrock he said there rails where good to about 650hp. I'm not gonna run them. He might not know what he is talking about?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by J dubb
When I talked to a tech at edelbrock he said there rails where good to about 650hp. I'm not gonna run them. He might not know what he is talking about?
i am going to say he doesn't know what he is talking about since i am a ways past that. i have them fed in parallel now just to be safe. i am still running the stock 5/16" fuel line too and i bet it isn't rated anywhere near what i am doing.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
As I recall, the owner of the vette with 90* elbow problems took it and the manifold to Richard@WCCH and he flow tested them. I don't recall the specifics, but as Richard told me how much drop in flow occured on a single runner when he added the elbow, I remember saying "holy f*ck". Also, if I recall correctly, the vette was NA.

You might want to give him a shout, Jim, and see if he has some ideas.

When we were talking about the adaptor plate, I know he and David didn't think the elbow would hurt too much on a big turbo motor, but who knows?
Thanks Eirk. This is the scenario I was referring to Jim.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:19 AM
single digit dreamer

what was he testing it against? if it was compared to a 3' tall strait up stack then sure i could see a big drop. or was he comparing it to something else that would fit under the hood?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
what was he testing it against? if it was compared to a 3' tall strait up stack then sure i could see a big drop. or was he comparing it to something else that would fit under the hood?

I'm a little fuzzy on the conversation, but I believe the comparison was runner alone vs. elbow + runner.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I'm a little fuzzy on the conversation, but I believe the comparison was runner alone vs. elbow + runner.
i dont see how that test would help us learn anything. adding an extra 90 compared to nothing would have to reduce flow. i guess what i would like to know is does a flat mounted tb right on the intake with a 90 above it flow better than what i have?

Quick Reply: twins and intake dyno today....