FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

twins and intake dyno today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
i guess what i would like to know is does a flat mounted tb right on the intake with a 90 above it flow better than what i have?
I, personally, don't know the answer but I mentioned it for info you may research if you feel it may help you. I'm not saying it's a problem, just that I had came accross that before and thought I would share the scenario.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my plumbing info. any 90 is equal to 10 feet of stright pipe. this is for small stuff 1/2 and 3/4 but the idea is the same. the 90 might be a factor but not the onl;y one.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Has anyone ever mounted the TB directly to this intake?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone was posting up some pics of an adapter plate and a flat mounted tb but you are still going to need a 90 right on top of that so it is hard to say if there would be any gains.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

...............sheet metal front inlet intake.................seriously though, i hope you get this all figured out.......

and yes I realize a victor style intake is used to eliminate the lean cyl conditions for better cylinder dist......
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

hehe i just drew a design i think would work good.... on a post it
Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

someone was posting up some pics of an adapter plate and a flat mounted tb but you are still going to need a 90 right on top of that so it is hard to say if there would be any gains.
You don't necessarily need a 90. You can make a plenum box (I'm not, but you could). I've been looking for a corba head, but until one is made out of something that can handle the heat, I'll be using a 90* silicone piece.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

i dont see how that test would help us learn anything. adding an extra 90 compared to nothing would have to reduce flow. i guess what i would like to know is does a flat mounted tb right on the intake with a 90 above it flow better than what i have?

Richard thinks so, and he can definitely explain all this better than I can
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
You don't necessarily need a 90. You can make a plenum box (I'm not, but you could). I've been looking for a corba head, but until one is made out of something that can handle the heat, I'll be using a 90* silicone piece.

Or if you were NA you could make an old school shaker hood hhhhmmmmm
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

The way I see it, having the rectangle elbow after the TB increases plenum volume significantly. Plenum volume should be based on desired hp/tq, rpm, needed runner length (fixed in this case), engine size, boost, etc. I'm not sure what size plenum the Vic Jr. has, but I'm willing to be that elbow added at least doubles it. With a boosted motor plenum volume can be quite crucial, because its an additional volume that has to be pressurized. It effects throttle response, boost lag and the rpm at which peak hp and tq occur.

As for the elbow being a restriction, it's not as bad when you're under boost than when you're in vacuum, but like I said, it's an additional volume that needs to be pressurized AFTER the TB. With it being rectangle, there will be large Re's number spikes in the corners, but I doubt that would really effect power much, especially with the Re's numbers he has with as much boost as he's running.

To me, Turboberserker's setup seems the best and most logical. It provides a means of fixing the TB to the manifold without increasing the plenum volume too much for the runner lengths the manifold was designed for.

Quick Reply: twins and intake dyno today....