FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

typhoon ??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typhoon ??????

Ive got a Typhoon nailed down for less then 7 grand and wanna buy it. How much boost do these things put out stock? From what i hear they are a mid 13 stock. Wouldnt take much to make that a 12 or even a 11 second truck. Im itchy to snag it up and put the full size truck on hold.

Last edited by GMCDee; 03-10-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
8 Second Club

they put out 14.5 #'s stock and are easily capable of running 12's...

they run 13.5's or so in stock trim..
i have a Syclone and they are bad *** toys... Sy or Ty.. i say get it, u wont regret it

Last edited by Flaco; 03-10-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are fun as hell, but helluva pain to keep up with... the only one I ever messed with needed constant work.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

collecters piece in the near future. Get it and park it if anything else. Kinda like the GNX. $13k when they came out back in the days, good luck finding 1 that is not all butchered up for less then $13k.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

They're a blast to drive for sure, but as with anything with FI, they do require maintainence. You seem like a pretty compitent guy though, so that shouldn't be too much trouble. They're 17 year old trucks so bear that in mind. They won't be as tight a new WRX or something.

7 grand seems kind of low, even in these times so I'm going to guess it probably has a few miles on it.

If this is a local AZ truck, I can go with you to check it out. PM me! There are certain things to look for when buying a used syty. I looked at 4 before I decided on mine. Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean its in good shape....that's for sure.

Edit: I know of another on for sale here in Tucson, it would definitely be worth it to check that one out too in order to get a comparison.

Mid 13's isn't uncommon for a good running Ty with reliability mods. 12's requires more boost, a 3 bar MAP and chip/custom tune. Don't be quick to buy a truck that's modded out though. That can become a nightmare.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
They're a blast to drive for sure, but as with anything with FI, they do require maintainence. You seem like a pretty compitent guy though, so that shouldn't be too much trouble. They're 17 year old trucks so bear that in mind. They won't be as tight a new WRX or something.

7 grand seems kind of low, even in these times so I'm going to guess it probably has a few miles on it.

If this is a local AZ truck, I can go with you to check it out. PM me! There are certain things to look for when buying a used syty. I looked at 4 before I decided on mine. Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean its in good shape....that's for sure.

Edit: I know of another on for sale here in Tucson, it would definitely be worth it to check that one out too in order to get a comparison.

Mid 13's isn't uncommon for a good running Ty with reliability mods. 12's requires more boost, a 3 bar MAP and chip/custom tune. Don't be quick to buy a truck that's modded out though. That can become a nightmare.
yea it is here in AZ its got 89,000 miles ive always wanted one ill let you know when i go check it out vanilla its in Phoneix area and the guy doesnt really know what he has from the price he has it listed as thats why i want to scoop it up quick. Ill shoot you some pics when i get the guy to email more pics.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool, let me know.

Go to this site: http://www.sytyauthority.net/ click on tips, then misc, then click on New Buyer Guide. That should get you started with things to look for.

7K for that mileage seems about right, depending on the condition of things. Do you happen to know what year and color it is?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heed my warning....the market took a huge hit in 08 they were selling for almost double and then suddenly it seems like the bottom fell out. You have to either get one in super shape or have deep Bill Gates money because almost everything on them are SY TY specific and it makes getting replacement parts HARD!!! I had a Typhoon and it never sparked with me, some vehicle like the Caddy commercial burn brightly blah blah blah. To me my Typhoon ownership was a dimmly lit dime store flashlight. I was put off with the fact that repo parts don't exisit and mine wasn't in the best of shape, hopefully your transaction goes better
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

My buddy has one that is stock besides a cold air kit. Its been parked for 4-5 years now since the tranny took a dump, and he's too cheap to fix it. Pretty good shape though in the 80k range. I think hes asking 12k for it. It's all white.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah the market did take a dump last year. It was on the way down though IMO toward the end of 2007. They'll go up just the same though. I've heard from a few of the older guys that it tends to follow housing trends. Odd, but maybe they're right. GN's are down right now too, so who knows? I bought mine to drive, not for an investment. I'm not really the collector type, but most people that own these trucks are, and that's unfortunate because I don't think they'll ever bring GN type money. Even though they made less than 5000 their still trucks.

Repro parts do exist for some things like cladding, but originals can be sourced any day of the week....but for more money. There are so many trucks being parted recently that finding parts isn't an issue. But by the same token, people realized that thier trucks are worth more parted out than together. A lot of the collector type guys collect parts too, and I think that's where the big return on their investment will be.

Starting out with a rough truck would be very frustrating. That's why its so important to know what to look for when buying.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't buy a syty if you can't or wont work on it yourself. No mechanic is going to spend the time to learn the in's and out's of these things. Unless you want to ship it across the country to one of the specialty syty shops for every mod or issue. They're really not as unreliable as everyone makes out to be though. They require maintenance, just like any other 17 year old turbo awd vehicle. If you abuse it or it has been abused, then it will require more maintenance.

Quick Reply: typhoon ??????