FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

urgent!! huge suction in valvetrain. wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent!! huge suction in valvetrain. wtf!

radix 122 is on now. i drove it two days ago and didnt have this problem, now i do.

when i start it white smoke pours out the exhaust so i poped the hood to check my oil to see if there was coolant in it. none. but as i pulled the dip stick out and it came unsealed the motor changed tones. then i pulled the oil cap off and i had to fight it. the thing was being sucked on. i finally got it off and stuck my hand over it there is crazy suction.

anyone have any ideas what it is?

could it be my PCV system? im running a breather on my oil cap and a hose from my drivers valve cover to the back of the j tube.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

What is your MAP reading at idle? It is in vacuum range I hope. What is your PCV arrangement? LS6 style or LS1? Plugged breather line?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
What is your MAP reading at idle? It is in vacuum range I hope. What is your PCV arrangement? LS6 style or LS1? Plugged breather line?
vac/boost gauge reads vacumn, cant remember the # of the top of my head b/c i was more concerned why my driveway is filling up with white smoke.

im not sure what style my pcv is. i dont have an ls6 valley cover if that helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default suction gone but still have the white smoke.

ok i looked over all my hoses and everything looks good. everything is connected. i did pull the pcv valve out of the drivers cover and i notived that it was straight through, no little check ball thingy. so i put one in that does have the check ball. started the truck up and had no suction problem anymore. however i still got the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. its not filling up the driveway anymore, but when i took the truck down the road it had a hesitation when i hit the gas and there seems to be a steady white smoke cloud following me.

BTW acording to my vac/boost gauge im at 15 on the vacumn side (dont know what you call it) @ 650RPMS

Last edited by SimpleManLance; 05-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

pull the hose off the back of the j-tube and see if the vacuum goes away.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase and it's sucking oil into the intake. Where is your line on the passenger valve cover connected to?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SimpleManLance
ok i looked over all my hoses and everything looks good. everything is connected. i did pull the pcv valve out of the drivers cover and i notived that it was straight through, no little check ball thingy. so i put one in that does have the check ball. started the truck up and had no suction problem anymore. however i still got the white smoke coming out of the exhaust. its not filling up the driveway anymore, but when i took the truck down the road it had a hesitation when i hit the gas and there seems to be a steady white smoke cloud following me.

BTW acording to my vac/boost gauge im at 15 on the vacumn side (dont know what you call it) @ 650RPMS
Adding a breather somewhere would be a good idea. It will take a while to get the residual oil out of the blower and top end but the smoke should go away withen a couple days. A little bit of oil can make a lot of smoke.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i think i figured it out, well kinda. as i posted earlier when i switched out the pcv valves with one that wasnt straight through the suction went away. the once i have in there now has the little check ball thingy in it.

as for the smoke i think it richen up my tune two much and it was adding way to much fuel at idle. when i loaded in my base tune the hesitation went away and so did the smoke.

it all kinda came at once at once seeing as the truck ran ok two days ago when i drove it. i just sorta freaked out a little because i just got this thing together and i thought somehow something got messed up.

Originally Posted by thunder550
Sounds like you're pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase and it's sucking oil into the intake. Where is your line on the passenger valve cover connected to?
the passenger cover is capped of and i have a breather in my oil cap.

Originally Posted by stock48
Adding a breather somewhere would be a good idea. It will take a while to get the residual oil out of the blower and top end but the smoke should go away withen a couple days. A little bit of oil can make a lot of smoke.
this is a used unit. it never smoked the other day when i drove it.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does smoke come out of the oil filler? could be blow by. might try a leak down test.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlt76028
does smoke come out of the oil filler? could be blow by. might try a leak down test.

exhaust. how would i do a leak down test?

Quick Reply: urgent!! huge suction in valvetrain. wtf!