FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Vacummed Advanced FPR?!?! 2 use or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacummed Advanced FPR?!?! 2 use or not?

Im just curious how everyone else is using there Fuel Pressure Regulator in a forced induction application.... I have my FPR boost referenced right now and it is supposed to be a 1:1 ratio but i am not seeing that and never have, pressure will go up but it not 1# of pressure per 1# of psi more like half a # of fuel pressure for every # of psi, i have also come to the conclusion that it can be quite complicated to nail down a VE table using this vacumm port because the fuel pressure fluctuates so much throughout the run.... Im thinking set it at a 60 psi base pressure, cap off the vaccumm line and make sure my fuel pressure dosent go below 58-60 lbs during the run (i log it in hp tuners).... EXPERIENCED people please toss out some suggestions or any encounters you have had with this issue thanks.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems weird. What regulator are you using? If you were to just run a straight pressure number remember it would be equivalent to removing your boost PSI from your fuel PSI. If the were showing 60 at the rail, and you were running 15 PSI, it would be equal to 45 PSI fuel pressure at the injector tip in the intake.

Also, where is your regulator mounted? I had problems when mine was down by the tank. I had the regulator closed as much as I could, and I couldn't get enough PSI. The lines were just too restrictive after the regulator.

Last edited by Gadgetized; 12-17-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a mallory regulator for fuel injection, im almost wondering if my pump is not keeping up in higher boost... Im pretty sure my 10an supply line is big enough, i have a A1000 pump.... I have heard of this scenerio before you just stated but you just made it clear again for me why i do have it boost referenced... I might just have to get a bigger pump one day and see if it will work better or find means of testing my regulator first
Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the regulator mounted? I like to mount them after the rails as they can not tell there is a restriction further down the line that would lower the PSI. Are you checking the fuel pressure at the regulator or the rail? If you are running the regulator real close to the rail it won't matter. Do you notice the pressure jump up when you shift? Try going to 3rd as soon as possible while keeping the boost up. When I had my regulator by the tank it was an A1000 Aeromotive. I ended up switching to the Magnacharger regulator. It is still on the rail before the injectors (I don't really care for it there), but it is working properly.

I would think you would want more fuel pump than a single A1000. I have a twin turbo 408 (the older 23 degree style head) in my Chevelle, and I have 2 A1000 pumps, 2 -10 fuel feed lines, and 2 A1000 regulators just to be safe. I will be firing it next spring. I was actually really reluctant to run a single Walbro 255 with a Magnavolt on my truck, but there were so many successful builds that I decided to go with it. It is basically impossible to have too much fuel supply in my book.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Amen! Never to much fuel.... My FPR is mounted right after the rails aso and im getting my fuel pressure reading off my regulator with an electronic fuel pressure gauge..... Im comftable with the pressures its running but its just not the 1:1 ratio
Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your injectors and fuel pump are large enough you don't need it. I had not used my boost reference but since I'm maxing out my injectors I plan to plug it in to reduce injector duty cycle.