FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

vacuum/Boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vacuum/Boost

This question is just out of curiosity. If an intake usually works off vacuum and a blower adds boost, what is going on when you go part throttle and the gauge reads “0”? No vacuum, no boost, wouldn’t this mean no airflow? Or is this the happy medium whre air is being pushed in just enough to not be a vacuum but not quite enough to boost air levels? And if so, wouldn't this be the most efficient level for the engine?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
This question is just out of curiosity. If an intake usually works off vacuum and a blower adds boost, what is going on when you go part throttle and the gauge reads “0”? No vacuum, no boost, wouldn’t this mean no airflow? Or is this the happy medium whre air is being pushed in just enough to not be a vacuum but not quite enough to boost air levels? And if so, wouldn't this be the most efficient level for the engine?
0 would just mean there is no intake restriction. Anytime there is a vacuum reading there is an intake restriction. If you had a car with too small a carb or throttle body it would go to 0 when you mashed the gas but would slowly creep back to the vacuum side when the rpm's got higher, but usually only 1-2". Boost just means that you are supplying more air than the engine can consume at normal atmospheric pressure, so it has to compress it to use it all. Almost all naturally aspirated engines will operate at 0 vacuum while under WOT as long as the induction system doesnt pose a bad restriction.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it is the happy medium where the intake presure is the same as atmospheric presure. normaly on a NA set up there will always be a little vacume so you are geting some extra hp from the blower even at 0psi.

often people see great gains from very low boost levels. something like 50hp from 2psi kind of thing but you are really seeing more of a diference that 2psi because there was some vacume that was overcome too.

i dont really know when the max efficency would be but i dont see any reason why it would be right at 0psi. it has more to do with the compresor, heads, cam, stuff like that.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys. That's kinda of what I was thinking but wanted some other ideas. Heres a question for ya that is sure to have people arguing.
What is the most boost I can run on stock internals with a good/dyno tune? I'm wanting to go down from a 3.4" pulley to, say...a 3.25" and try to get 9 pounds or so. I know 10 pounds would be pushing my luck. What is the limiting factor? Rockers, springs, push rods?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this is why you get better mileage from a turbo set-up at normal driving speeds because of the help the turbo gives you. The engine does not have to suck air, it is being given by the turbo instead?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
yes it is the happy medium where the intake presure is the same as atmospheric presure. normaly on a NA set up there will always be a little vacume so you are geting some extra hp from the blower even at 0psi.
You could just use the blower to get you to 100% VE without boost, which could be 0 vacuum, but I guess that would depend on the heads, cam and such. You could deffinetly get closer to 100% VE without any boost and just using the blower to force air. I would think that the valves and cam would make some restriction that might require some boost to overcome. But who would do that? I have a hard time not putting on the absolute smallest pulley I can find just to see what my stock motor will take.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks guys. That's kinda of what I was thinking but wanted some other ideas. Heres a question for ya that is sure to have people arguing.
What is the most boost I can run on stock internals with a good/dyno tune? I'm wanting to go down from a 3.4" pulley to, say...a 3.25" and try to get 9 pounds or so. I know 10 pounds would be pushing my luck. What is the limiting factor? Rockers, springs, push rods?
I dont think 10-11 PSI is all that much if you are not beating on the truck constantlyand have a safe tune. I might try 13-14, I am at 10 now. Its still under warranty anyway.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
single digit dreamer

the limit is your fuel and tuning. tranny wont be happy either.

about 6-7psi seems to be the limit on non intercooled set ups with pump gas, i would think an intercooler would add 2psi or so but i am not up on what the limit for a radix on pump gas is. there is a point when you have to run it soo rich and pull so much timing to run the higher boost and stay out of knock that you end up gaining no power.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I dont think 10-11 PSI is all that much if you are not beating on the truck constantlyand have a safe tune. I might try 13-14, I am at 10 now. Its still under warranty anyway.
a radix and a procharger are going to have significantly diferent max boost limits. the radix will see max boost at 2000rpm and the mid range is where the knock will set in. the procharger wont see the high boost till higher rpms and knock seems less likely to set in up there.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:28 AM

From what you guys are saying I think I could run 9 #'s safely. I have an intercooler, I run 93 octane fuel and plan on getting a dyno tune when I go with the smaller pulley. I just wanted to make sure my rods, springs and etc...would take 9 #'s. I see about 7 at wot right now. Mine however is Not under warranty. Actually it is under extended warranty but the dealership won't even look at my truck with the Radix on it. I haven't fought that battle yet.

Quick Reply: vacuum/Boost