FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

A/W intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A/W intercooler question

Quick question. If a person were to use an a/w with an icebox instead of a/a intercooler, could you still drive the vehicle like you normally would with a/a and then just throw some ice in the box when its race time? Or would you have to run the water pump in the ice box at all times?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Would you have to add a heat exchanger to the mix? And if so, would the heat exchanger have any ill effects on the ice water when there was ice in the box?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask Charcoldbowtie he is running a A/W intercooler on his turbo setup....
Old 10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a small water box and heat exchanger, now I have a huge water box and no heat exchanger... The HX would melt the ice almost instantly in the water box since the ambient air (say 75*) was then heating up the water instead of cooling it off. For driving arous it worked pretty good tho. I haven't gotten te truck gouge again since I took out the HX and got the new water box so I don't really k ow how it'll work... I have a 7 gallon tank with 1" lines going from right behind the radiator to under the bed so I bet I'll have a solid 8-10 gallons of water so it still might be able to stay cool when I'm just driving around without ice, I'll soon fond out for sure tho!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I plan on driving mine on water/anitfreeze for 90% of the time, and making it an ice box at the track. I do plan on running the pump full time

Smokeshow wasnt running a pump when he first got his together, he may have realistic numbers on it.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not tryin to jack this thread but are you guys running front mounts with a/w intercoolers? If so I would like so see some pics
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

For the stree you will need a heat exchanger.
For the track no heat exchanger is needed.

Depending on the size of intercooler and the heat. Can change the size of water tank.

We offer a 1.5 and 2,0 gallon tanks. As well as custom intecoolers.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
I plan on driving mine on water/anitfreeze for 90% of the time, and making it an ice box at the track. I do plan on running the pump full time

Smokeshow wasnt running a pump when he first got his together, he may have realistic numbers on it.
of course you would have to run a pump...? how else would the intercooler stay cold? the pump i have is 70gph i thinkm maybe 80
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

air isnt flowing through an AW so of course the pump has to run or you will have a little bit of hot *** water and then some ambient water.

if you do like mitch (sprayedenali) is i think you could drive on the street. 8 or so gallons of water is not going to get stupid hot unless you do some serious driving. as far as a smaller tank a HX will be needed imo for street drving, but just like mitch said its going to keep the water ambient and best so good luck keeping ice in it!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

For long drives an HX will be needed. Over time the water in the tank will get hotter and hotter. Until it matches the air temp going through your intercooler.

For playing in town NO HX is needed.

I have a 15-20gallon tank that fits in the bed and still allows the bed to used as a bed. In town there was no problem with heat rise. 4hour drive on the highway, Water got Hot inside the tank.

I still have this tank. I can sale it 100.00 plus freight.

Quick Reply: A/W intercooler question