FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Wastegate dump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate dump?

Are you guys running your wastegate to the exhaust or vented to atmosphere? I tried both on my STS kit and it spooled faster and seemed to pull better to atmosphere. I swapped to a trick front mount and I can't decide which way I want to run it. Let me know what everyone is doing.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran mine to the atmosphere with my STS, loud as all sin when it's opened as your probably aware. If you route it back to the DP I can see a reduction in pressure differential across the blades but not so much for it to affect spool time, but I could be wrong. How big a DP are you running?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 AM
GFYS and STFU

Your vid remind me of F8LZ71's (I think that was his name) old truck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/F8L#p/a/u/2/y45vTmoMYWA
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I ran mine to the atmosphere with my STS, loud as all sin when it's opened as your probably aware. If you route it back to the DP I can see a reduction in pressure differential across the blades but not so much for it to affect spool time, but I could be wrong. How big a DP are you running?
I'm running a 3" downpipe to a 3" magnaflow. My STS setup made better power up top vented to atmosphere so I'm thinking of running it to atmoshpere on the Trick setup. The way these kits turn the wastegate into the downpipe at a 90 degree angle it has to be like an exhaust brake when it opens. Anybody else have any input? Maybe Trick has done some testing?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your vid remind me of F8LZ71's (I think that was his name) old truck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/F8L#p/a/u/2/y45vTmoMYWA
The funny thing is that F8LZ71 and Parish were the two trucks that got me back into forced induction. I had an STS kit on my car six years ago and loved it but went back NA. After messing with my truck I will never go back to NA.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
GFYS and STFU

I'm not so sure that the waste gate will act as a brake the way your saying it will. On a trick system I'm gonna guess there's a 3:1 pressure differential between the Hot parts and cold parts. So assume your running 15 psi, your gonna see 45psi in your Hot pipes pre-turbo. Everything post turbo will be, depending on how much exhaust piping/restrictions you have, around 5-6 psi, maybe more maybe less. That's basically around a 40psi difference between the two so that air is gonna scream through the waste gate and into the DP.
What I was thinking was that depending on how the wastegate outlet is routed into the DP you could cause some elevated pressures just aft of the turbine and effectively drop the pressure differential across the blades which does effect spool time. I've seen bad systems where the air kinda stalls and chokes up the exhaust, doesn't cause reversion since that's near impossible but it does create an artificial wall of air that elevates the pressures in the DP more than it needs to be in a properly routed system. Also if you make the waste gate return at such and angle you could probably get some scavenging effect.

If you dump it you gonna dump it straight into the engine bay or route it out somewhere?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

it can be switched back and forth easily.

3-1? I dont think it would be quite that steep, IIRC i remember reading on ahere a poor system may be around 2-1
Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
GFYS and STFU

Ohhh, maybe. Poor system is around 4:1 if IIRC, good is around 2:1, Ideal is 1:1. But I could be wrong, it's happened before.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not so sure that the waste gate will act as a brake the way your saying it will. On a trick system I'm gonna guess there's a 3:1 pressure differential between the Hot parts and cold parts. So assume your running 15 psi, your gonna see 45psi in your Hot pipes pre-turbo. Everything post turbo will be, depending on how much exhaust piping/restrictions you have, around 5-6 psi, maybe more maybe less. That's basically around a 40psi difference between the two so that air is gonna scream through the waste gate and into the DP.
What I was thinking was that depending on how the wastegate outlet is routed into the DP you could cause some elevated pressures just aft of the turbine and effectively drop the pressure differential across the blades which does effect spool time. I've seen bad systems where the air kinda stalls and chokes up the exhaust, doesn't cause reversion since that's near impossible but it does create an artificial wall of air that elevates the pressures in the DP more than it needs to be in a properly routed system. Also if you make the waste gate return at such and angle you could probably get some scavenging effect.

If you dump it you gonna dump it straight into the engine bay or route it out somewhere?
The wall of air affect is what I was getting at by saying exhaust brake. The Trick kit enters at a 90 degree angle so it has to choke the turbo up a little when it opens. My wastegate is under the truck so it should be ok to just turn it straight down. I was wondering if anybody had done back to back testing on a dyno. I might try it tomorrow on the dyno if I have time.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
GFYS and STFU

Cool deal!! Please post up any results in this thread or link your new thread in here so I can follow! Sorry I wasn't any help...it happens alot!

Quick Reply: Wastegate dump?