FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Wastegate and manual boost controller questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wastegate and manual boost controller questions.

Ok....Got lots of questions on this! I've got a JGS 50mm wastegate and a Hallman Pro Manual Boost controller. The gate has whatever spring it comes with when you buy it. I have the bottom port on the gate going to manifold vacuum and in that hose I have the boost controller teed in going to the port on the very end of the Hallman Boost Controller. The top port on the gate goes to the port that comes out of the side of the boost controller. This is how it was explained to me to hook it up. Anyway in that configuration it runs 12-13psi with the boost controller **** backed all the way off counterclockwise. So yesterday I turned the **** clockwise five complete turns, max boost went to 5 psi. So what am I doing wrong and how do I correct this? I also want to be running 20-22 psi in the next two weeks. Do I need another spring in there or what?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should pull the boost controller out, run it. See exactly what you boost is at with out that controller. Then you will know what you can run with a controller. The controller will be able to double your spring rate. Ex. If you have a 7psi spring then with a controller you can run a max of 14psi.
If you want to run 20-22 psi you might have to run both the light and heavy spring in the wastegate, then see how much your runnin like that with both, then add your MBC.
Good luck! Can't wait to see your truck on 22 psi!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what's the deal with the backwards boost controller?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

im not sure why your boost gets lower when you turn the **** on the controller. id pull it off and see what boost is at with get the wastegate.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevyboy.520
im not sure why your boost gets lower when you turn the **** on the controller. id pull it off and see what boost is at with get the wastegate.
I put the second spring in there that was provided with the kit. Has both of them in there now. Just ruined the V band clamp as the nut just pulled all the threads off on the way off! Nothing ever works out right at my house!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your boost controller is a spring and ball style I dont think it will work that way. If you run say, 20lb spring/s with straight boost signal to the lower port and lets say you get 18lb of boost. Install your your boost controller in line to the lower port that way if your boost controller is the spring and ball style you can tighten/cut off some of the boost signal to the lower port and get more boost.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same controller and I have no reference on top and the bottom port of the hallman to the lower port of the gat and the one in the front to manifold.

I could be wrong but the way you have it set up is that the bottom always sees manifold boost, with the hallman backed all the way off the top you are getting the same, the top and bottom ports cancel each other out because they are pretty much the same, you're running on spring pressure. Now, when you start turning that **** your sending less boost to the top port which is allowing it to open sooner because of the boost on the lower port.

As chevyboy said, I would run it with both ports open to the air and carefully give it the throttle, if you can hit your target boost then hook the controller up the way I have it and you are good to go.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scooter k
I put the second spring in there that was provided with the kit. Has both of them in there now. Just ruined the V band clamp as the nut just pulled all the threads off on the way off! Nothing ever works out right at my house!
damn! sorry to hear that crap. i know how that works. right now im having fueling issues that im working out. and it always seems to have a problem
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03RCSB
I have the same controller and I have no reference on top and the bottom port of the hallman to the lower port of the gat and the one in the front to manifold.

I could be wrong but the way you have it set up is that the bottom always sees manifold boost, with the hallman backed all the way off the top you are getting the same, the top and bottom ports cancel each other out because they are pretty much the same, you're running on spring pressure. Now, when you start turning that **** your sending less boost to the top port which is allowing it to open sooner because of the boost on the lower port.

As chevyboy said, I would run it with both ports open to the air and carefully give it the throttle, if you can hit your target boost then hook the controller up the way I have it and you are good to go.

Can you draw out a diagram of how you have it hooked up?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevyboy.520
damn! sorry to hear that crap. i know how that works. right now im having fueling issues that im working out. and it always seems to have a problem
I just ordered two new clamps, one spare! New o-rings, just in case one gets torn! Also ordered the medium and high springs since they were only 8 dollars a piece and this way I'll just have them! No one around JGS to answer questions but will call them back to see what springs they think I need.

Quick Reply: Wastegate and manual boost controller questions.