FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Water To Air Intercooler Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water To Air Intercooler Q's

Ok, i have a Water To Air Intercooler for my STS kit.
Im tryin to figure out how much "Water" im goin to need in a Resivor.

I have some Aluminum that i can make a Resivor out of, just dont know what most you guys have.

Im thinking a 1Gal resivor should suffice, along with a smaller Cooler or Heat exhanger (whatever they are called).

Right now im tryin to figure out how much Cubic Inches or Feet one gallon of water takes up. So i can know how much Aluminum im goin to need.

I do know that to convert cubic inches to gallons I will divide by 231 and get gallons.

((Hold on to your hats, im fixin to try to do some math!!!))

Doin some figuring a 4.5"Dx10"Hx6"W Box should hold about 1.16 Gallons of water. Thats measuring the Outside of the box. So with the Aluminum im using lets say it will hold 1 gallon.

Im sure i can fit this under the hood somewhere, if not i can put it under the truck. Add all the hose, cooler, and Intercooler i would gestimate to have about 1.5 gallons.. Would this be enough?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of a trade off when sizing the amount of water you'll need. A larger amount will take longer to heat up and be more consistent, but it will take less trips through the heat exchanger over a given amount of time.

I didn't check your math, but go to www.onlineconversions.com and go to the Volume section.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

None. You only need a tank to purge air from the system. Get a 6-7GPH pump and a large radiator for it and the temps will stay down. The larger cooler will weigh less than the big tank full of coolant and it will take up room that isn't otherwise used. The more cooling area the better. I just bought a nice one through EBay for $100. They're out there.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

James,
So i should just hook my pump to a large Trans cooler? and run it through the Intercooler then to a small "Tank" with a top on it?

I got some drawing to do.
Prob just goin to run some 3/8" fuel line or something like that.
The Push Lock lines i used on my tranny are way to expensive for this project.
Maybe some clear hose that i can get from ACE. (My buddy is a manager there so its open to me at all hours of the day or night)

I might start lookin at that tom when i get off work. I have a Small Water Pump.. i dont know any specs on it, but it pushes some serious water.

How should i go along with the routing of everything?

Pump, Cooler, intercooler, tank?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

im running a big **** fluidyne heat exchanger and i put two e fans on it

and im also running a 3 gallon ice box that i keep about 2 gallons in. my entire system has about 3-4 gallons in it . my temps are never over 10 degrees more than ambient unless i get into high boost. but if i fill the box with ice i can get it really cold , i saw some high 30 degree temps with it 56 degrees outside and that was only half full of ice. i keep the fans on at all times when the engine is running. id run almost all water and a little coolant (to prevent corosion) and some water wetter.

i run my water from the icebox-pump-intercooler-heat excahnger
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

We offer a tank that fits the inner fender by the fire wall.
Tank,to pump, pump to IC, IC to heat exchanger, Heat exchanger back to the tank. The tank or fill point needs to be the highest point of your system to aid in removing air bubbles. There was a write up on the forum where a guy used a small 100.00 raditaor for his heat exchanger.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
im running a big **** fluidyne heat exchanger and i put two e fans on it

and im also running a 3 gallon ice box that i keep about 2 gallons in. my entire system has about 3-4 gallons in it . my temps are never over 10 degrees more than ambient unless i get into high boost. but if i fill the box with ice i can get it really cold , i saw some high 30 degree temps with it 56 degrees outside and that was only half full of ice. i keep the fans on at all times when the engine is running. id run almost all water and a little coolant (to prevent corosion) and some water wetter.

i run my water from the icebox-pump-intercooler-heat excahnger

NICE! I would love to pick me up a nice xchanger like that.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

its an upgraded unit for a lightning of i remember right. i think it was around 450 new.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow!!
Thanks guys!!

I think i got it figured out... got to make a few things and see how it looks..

Wouldnt a Tranny cooler suffice?

Here is the cooler i have for my tranny right now:

Would another one of these work? Maybe mount it Horizonally with a E-Fan on it?

Ive never dealt with anything like this so forgive my lack of knowledge.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The transmission cooler is too small. The trans lines are small diameter, higher pressure. You need something that flows low pressure, larger diameter. The intercooler lines should be 3/4" ID hose. That Fluidyne unit is VERY nice, it was the first one I found when I started looking, but it wouldn't fit my application. It's sold as an upgrade to the stock Lightning one. I ended up going with a core that covers a larger area but is only 1" thick. The price was right too at just $100. It's sold by Lingenfelter and has 3/4" inlet and outlet as well as a bleeder screw at the top. The pump I am using is made by Johnson, rated 6.9GPH, and has magnetically coupled drive (no seals). I got the pump for $60.
I'm no expert on this stuff, just recently had to research it all myself for my own project. What I've found is that keeping the system flowing strong is more beneficial than a large reservoir.
I wouldn't mess with that clear hose you're talking about. That has no tollerance for heat. Use rubber 3/4" heater hose or better. No need for braided stainless or anything that nice, but it needs to be a rigid enough hose that the bends won't fold up on you.

Last edited by James B.; 02-02-2007 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Water To Air Intercooler Q's