FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

what causes f/i setups to overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you guys sure your fans are spinning the right way?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
This.

The 05 fans have the opposite polarity of the ls1 fans using the same connector.....so if you use a harness meant for LS1 fans on 05 fans, the 05 fans will spin the wrong way. If thats the case, its not a big issue, just turn the connector the other way.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
Originally Posted by Atomic
This.

The 05 fans have the opposite polarity of the ls1 fans using the same connector.....so if you use a harness meant for LS1 fans on 05 fans, the 05 fans will spin the wrong way. If thats the case, its not a big issue, just turn the connector the other way.
IN my case yes, I do not have cooling issues around town or at slow speeds. My issues are climbing long mountain passes and at high speed. Fan polarity doesn't matter anyways because at any speed over 45mph the PCM turn the fans OFF and they stay off until the speed drops below 45mph which my truck does not do.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was stating that because you said your coolant got hotter when you manually turned the fans on.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chpspecial
I am, My truck is doing the same thing and I can't figure it out. The set up is, 04 SSS, 34" rad, 05 efans, 05+ gm truck wiring harness, ran from the PCM with override controls in the cab for both fan 1 and 2. On days that are less than 90* she stays at 180, on 100*+ day she stays at 190-195. But when I go up any of the passes towards vegas or any other long pass, temp starts to go up fast. I try to keep it at 0 vac/boost while on the pass, and for the most part the truck maintains speeds. Usually 75-80mph. every now and then I will feed it 0-4psi to maintain speed. When this starts to happen, my trans also starts to heat up fast. reaching 200* when my normal trans operating temp is 160*. My intake temps stay in check...

I'm going to see if a 180* stat will help, currently I have a 160*. From there I am going to add an oil cooler line to the turbo return line and see if that helps. I know that my radiator is not plugged and that my water pump is working fine.

On my last trip to vegas last week, I manually turned on the fans on the way back, and that seemed to make the problem worse... as the temp got higher.

Once I am at the summit of the pass, the temps (both engine and trans) drop down almost instantly...
Do you have your turbo hot parts wrapped well? I didn't wrap anything except the downpipe when I first put my stuff on, and it would overheat all the time when it was hot here (95+). I have 34" rad. and fans. I wrapped the manifold, crossover and downpipe pretty well with header wrap and my problems went away completely. Frontmount turbos put a ton of extra heat in the engine bay. You might not think it makes much difference at speed, but remember, the exhaust can be up to 1300 degrees!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He has an STS kit, his issues don't stem from hot parts.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chpspecial
I am, My truck is doing the same thing and I can't figure it out. The set up is, 04 SSS, 34" rad, 05 efans, 05+ gm truck wiring harness, ran from the PCM with override controls in the cab for both fan 1 and 2. On days that are less than 90* she stays at 180, on 100*+ day she stays at 190-195. But when I go up any of the passes towards vegas or any other long pass, temp starts to go up fast. I try to keep it at 0 vac/boost while on the pass, and for the most part the truck maintains speeds. Usually 75-80mph. every now and then I will feed it 0-4psi to maintain speed. When this starts to happen, my trans also starts to heat up fast. reaching 200* when my normal trans operating temp is 160*. My intake temps stay in check...

I'm going to see if a 180* stat will help, currently I have a 160*. From there I am going to add an oil cooler line to the turbo return line and see if that helps. I know that my radiator is not plugged and that my water pump is working fine.

On my last trip to vegas last week, I manually turned on the fans on the way back, and that seemed to make the problem worse... as the temp got higher.

Once I am at the summit of the pass, the temps (both engine and trans) drop down almost instantly...
That's exactly what I'm somewhat worried about. The only difference I have is the Evans overdriven waterpump and Evans 100% NPG+ coolant......
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you guys think of this? No thermostat?

http://www.evanscooling.com/assets/E...t-Info-web.pdf
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't run without a thermostat. It would take forever to warm up and could possibly cool off too much. There would be some major fluctuations in engine coolant temps.

As a side note, I like my clutch fan and shroud. It moves a ton of air all the time and is as reliable as grandpa's tools. I've never seen any wavering of temps, ever.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly the most common problem I've ran into and fixed is a tuning issue. Many are tuned with too little timing in the non-boost/low boost range and this will easily cause overheating conditions. Even with the stock stat it should be fine. I'd run a 160 in your setup for various reasons, but not to keep it from overheating. Seriously, check the timing you run at cruise and zero to very low boost situations. Also make sure that when you are in boost you are going into p.e., because if you don't this will also create a ton of heat in the cylinders. Heat in the cylinders will be transmitted to the cooling system.

Something else to consider would be change the heat exchanger and get it out of the way of the radiator. I've also re-located them for this reason. There are many other options for this.

On a side note, turning on the fans at highway speed will slow down the air coming through the radiator, not speed it up. Only an engine driven style fan can get away with it since it speeds up as you speed up. Have you upgraded your fans to both 7 blade setup for low speed help?

Last edited by zippy; 07-16-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: what causes f/i setups to overheat?