FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What happens when a turbo surges?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! Just remember that you can go with the black spring if you find the BOV is not responsive enough...

Bill
Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

My truck draws about 13 hg-in with the a/c on and about 16 with the a/c off.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo surging, as someone mentioned above is not good at all for the bearings and if it is done enough I would say that is where your oil burning issues might be.
example:
On the Slow speed diesels that I routinely work on I was unfortunate enough to be standing next to a 6ft tall 7-ton turbo that surged. The engine room which is the size of a gym went from a positive pressure to a vacume and milliseconds when they went from + 12000 rpm's to - 7000 rpm's, I felt like my body was being sucked out from the inside.
Our turbo's (3 of them) were surging because we were at Full sea speed in 60 foot seas and our prop (about 32ft in diameter) were popping in and out of the water as the vessel was pitching. The sudden increase and decrease of load on the engine caused the turbo's to surge which shook the entire 1090 ft. ship. That's maybe 36 feet of bearing surface shaking a 240,000 tons of ship. Once we got into port a week later we pulled one of the turbo's apart to ensure everyhing with the bearing were ok. Basically the first inclination of the turbo when surging is to push out radially against the bearings, not spin backwards.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Turbo surging, as someone mentioned above is not good at all for the bearings and if it is done enough I would say that is where your oil burning issues might be.
example:
On the Slow speed diesels that I routinely work on I was unfortunate enough to be standing next to a 6ft tall 7-ton turbo that surged. The engine room which is the size of a gym went from a positive pressure to a vacume and milliseconds when they went from + 12000 rpm's to - 7000 rpm's, I felt like my body was being sucked out from the inside.
Our turbo's (3 of them) were surging because we were at Full sea speed in 60 foot seas and our prop (about 32ft in diameter) were popping in and out of the water as the vessel was pitching. The sudden increase and decrease of load on the engine caused the turbo's to surge which shook the entire 1090 ft. ship. That's maybe 36 feet of bearing surface shaking a 240,000 tons of ship. Once we got into port a week later we pulled one of the turbo's apart to ensure everyhing with the bearing were ok. Basically the first inclination of the turbo when surging is to push out radially against the bearings, not spin backwards.
Wow, I bet that was an experience

I think the moral of the story for me is that I need to move the oil drain on the turbo and have it rebuilt and get that BOV installed asap.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

example:
No video?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Wow, I bet that was an experience

I think the moral of the story for me is that I need to move the oil drain on the turbo and have it rebuilt and get that BOV installed asap.

Gald to see your truck is up and running Chris
Definitely move the drain hose above the oil level in the pan. The poop that was originally oil needs a large easy flowing path away from the bearing housing. I learned this on my Triumph that I put a turbo on 27years ago

Spoolin's experience with turbo surge is extraordinary and literally an eye popping experinece
Serious and abrupt pressure changes within the compressor housing will cause problems in due time. I don't know how hard of a deal it would be to try running the engine without the turbo, but it would definitely tell you if there is an engine problem or crank breather problem.

I hope you like the driveability of the new cam. The idle does sounds sweet!
Thanks for the updates on your progress.

Richard
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to try and not run a BOV all together and switch over to a bypass valve instead. It pretty much cleaned up our truck kit with how it runs and drives. I had the same thing with the Tial50. I have tried in the past different spring rates too with somewhat ok success. The bypass was much more effective.

Rick
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

example:
that is the most intellectual thing you have ever said
Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
You need to try and not run a BOV all together and switch over to a bypass valve instead. It pretty much cleaned up our truck kit with how it runs and drives. I had the same thing with the Tial50. I have tried in the past different spring rates too with somewhat ok success. The bypass was much more effective.

Rick
What do you recommend for a bypass?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Gald to see your truck is up and running Chris
Definitely move the drain hose above the oil level in the pan. The poop that was originally oil needs a large easy flowing path away from the bearing housing. I learned this on my Triumph that I put a turbo on 27years ago

Spoolin's experience with turbo surge is extraordinary and literally an eye popping experinece
Serious and abrupt pressure changes within the compressor housing will cause problems in due time. I don't know how hard of a deal it would be to try running the engine without the turbo, but it would definitely tell you if there is an engine problem or crank breather problem.

I hope you like the driveability of the new cam. The idle does sounds sweet!
Thanks for the updates on your progress.

Richard
The driveability is great! I am impressed so far with how everything runs. That is a very streetable cam you picked out for me.

Quick Reply: What happens when a turbo surges?