FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What muffler/resonator that maintains turbine whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
a 416 that sounded like a v6?

Anyways anything straight through should keep that spool sound your looking for but still depends on the turbo. The reason the diesel trucks, specifically the Fords really have that distinct spool sound is because of the variable vane turbos that are used on them. They literally build boost on idle and how the vanes variably adjust is why they make that nice clear spool sound through the entire rpm band. It can be replicated but wont be as clear on a gas like it is on those diesel trucks. With my cutout open I could hear the turbo pretty clear and wasn't really that loud considering. The turbo exhaust housing muffles the engine down quite a bit. Ever thought about just running an electric cutout?
Ya man that's what I'm wanting, to have my turbine whistle through my tailpipe. There's a bunch of turbo diesel guys whistling away over here, there, and everywhere!!

I know that some guys here using KB, Trick, or custom front mounts run diesel mufflers and just wanted feedback from them to see if turbine whistle sneaks through these diesel mufflers like the diesel guys.

I have a cutout right under the passengers feet right after the downpipe, but exhaust sound is much louder than turbine whistle. Also it really resonates badly under the truck and for my case its just mostly noise. I'm just looking at all possible choices.

Also just found out different turbo turbines are louder than others. YouTube videos tell me turbonetics turbines are loud. It's louder than my magnum and gt45.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stainless Works has a variety of mufflers you guys may be interested in and we will build custom mufflers if you need a specific overall length and core size. Many of our customers have used our S-Tube, Smooth Tube & Vintage Round mufflers for custom turbo applications. We have seen the Retro-Chambered muffler used as well as it creates this really cool muscle car sound!

Please Contact Us with any questions

Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

How free-flowing are those mufflers? The less restrictive the better, so idk about a chambered design for a turbo application. Do yall make them in 4"?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only ones I've heard that had a lot of sound through the exhaust had no muffler. If you run a 4" exhaust it shouldn't be loud even without a muffler. A ball bearing turbo also makes the sound a lot longer.

Originally Posted by Alpinestar
The whistle sound comes from the turbo itself (under the hood for front mounts), not so much "through the exhaust". My point earlier was, a loud muffler can overwhelm the sound that the turbo makes. I've ran a few borlas and now I'm trying out a magnaflow.
He's talking about the jet sounding whirl through the exhaust not the sound of it spooling up like you are talking about.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I run a very long 4" magnaflow. I have followed behind my truck a few times and you can definatly here the turbine whistle. It starts at to do it right before the turbo starts creating boost and up to a few pounds. As boost rises though all you hear is the compressor screaming.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by o2camaross
How free-flowing are those mufflers? The less restrictive the better, so idk about a chambered design for a turbo application. Do yall make them in 4"?
Since all mufflers are made at our facility, we control the level of sound and flow for each muffler design. Keep in mind its nearly impossible to have hi-flow with minimal noise. Our 3" S-Tube design muffler has found its way on many cars with 1000+ HP. Typically 4" mufflers are found on high compression diesel applications or Race Only applications. The straight through design mufflers will allow some of the turbo sounds to leak out a bit more, for reference check out our new Eco-Boost exhaust with a single 3.5" S-Tube muffler, you can definitely here the turbo with this design.

Watch Eco-Boost Video
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

turbo denali - YouTube 4in exhaust and magnaflow muffler.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

i can hear my turbo good with my stock exhaust.. but its the compressor..
if i open my cutout you cant hear anything.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 3 1/2 exhaust into a 4'' mbrp diesel muffler. i can still hear the turbo nicely. with a real deep tone.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cwalker2006
i have 3 1/2 exhaust into a 4'' mbrp diesel muffler. i can still hear the turbo nicely. with a real deep tone.
Do you have a sound clip of this? Would love to hear what a 4" mbrp sounds our turbo gas trucks.

Quick Reply: What muffler/resonator that maintains turbine whistle?