FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What turbo to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What turbo to go with?

hey guys i have a 94 chevy c1500 and the 350 in it spun a rod bearing so i am replacing it with a 383 stroker engine. it will be tbi, and i was just wanting to know what brand turbo to go with and what part number to look for. i only want to make about 6-8 psi so let me know. thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Your biggest issue is going to be the TBI. since your already swapping motors I would swap in a 6.0 now then do the turbo. You'll have much better control over your fueling and tune and should run way better with turbo over the tbi motor, But if you decide do stick with your plan, I really like the turbonetics 62-1 that i have.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

ok how many psi does it put out? and im not real sure about what goes into a turbo setup so could you tell me what all i would need for it to work.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coonass350
ok how many psi does it put out? and im not real sure about what goes into a turbo setup so could you tell me what all i would need for it to work.
You can turn up the boost as much as you want. There isn't a set number of PSI for a turbo. The only thing is that there is an efficiency of a turbo where as you create more and more boost eventually you won't gain any more power.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

oh okay. well what all is required to setup a turbo on my tbi engine??
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

oh okay. well what all is required to setup a turbo on my tbi engine??
Well first of all, can you weld? Do you have pretty advanced automotive skills? If yes then you'll also have to ask yourself if you want to do a front or rear mount. I know more about rear mounts since that's what I plan to eventually run, but you'll basically need:

1.)The turbo-if you end up swapping to a 6.0 then you'll want something like a t60 if you want a quick spooling turbo or something like a 67 for up top power

2.)Intercooler-while you don't have to have one, it will help keep your temps down and prevent engine failure.

3.)Piping-this is the hardest part since(as far as I know) they don't sell just the turbo piping.

4.) Wastgate
5.)BOV-again not required but good to have
6.) Some sort of oil system
7.) All plumbing for the intercooler
8.) Some sort of boost controller- you can go cheap and get a manual one or spend the money and get a digital one
9.) A good tune-this is probably the best thing to prevent engine failure. You'll need to get a custom tune or buy EFI Live/HPTUNERS and make sure all your A/F ratios are spot on.
10.) Good guages-not required but help greatly to monitor boost,oil pressure, a/f ratios,etc

This is just a basic list, you may need other stuff like a wiring harness for the parts, low oil pressure warning system,etc. I'm by no means an expert or anything so like I said, this is just a general list.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

oh okay, well thanks for that list. about how much would all of this cost?? would it be cheaper to buy it in parts or just a whole kit? or should i just go with a tbi supercharger?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

It's probably cheaper to buy a kit that you can just bolt in -- unless you already have a good welder, metal cutting tools, jigs, etc. Even if you do have that, it might be cheaper...

I'd check with site sponsor that carries STS if you want a rear mount or talk to Trick Performance if you want a front mount kit. Which one is "best" is up to you and your tastes / needs.

You can expect to pay $4000-7000 for a basic turbo set up with all supporting mods (like tranny work, fuel, tune, etc.) depending on options and whether you go brand new, used, pre-made, fab yourself, etc.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

oh okay well which one makes more power, s/c or turbo??
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

oh okay well which one makes more power, s/c or turbo??
that's not a good question to ask. Think about it, if one was "more powerful" than the other, wouldn't we all run that setup instead of the other?

Sounds to me like you need to use this a little more before you start posting: Search Button

Quick Reply: What turbo to go with?