FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whats the cure for lean #7

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i could have sworn i saw on ls1tech where they determined it was a combination of the stock intake and the water jackets/cooling for the rear cylinders. might be remembering something else.
Couple of guys swapped the intake around and feed it from a charge pipe coming from inside the car from the a/w I/C and still had problems with #7. The water jacket problem is a combo of the water getting hot before it reaches #7 and 7 firing after 5. All other cylinder do not fire directly after each other like 5 and 7, so they have a little more time to dissipate heat.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put the fattest injector in #7 and the next fattest in #5. I have been told that won't help but, I disagree. If you can richen and cool those 2 cylinders--why not do it.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

My injectors i bought from FiveO.com all there injectors they say are flow matched, but im not sure which ones flows more...... I'm gona need bigger ones when I turn the boost up more with the forged internals guess i could always get a custom set of injectors with number 7 flowing a little more.... and have the tuner tune a bit fat also

Not sure about the crossover tube my heads are stock and have never been removed, but i don't remember seeing any back there when i did my trans swap

The pistons I'm getting are wiesco 5.3s there not the coated ones with the smaller ring..... They should be able to handle more heat right? Has anyone burned up a number 7 forged piston?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR
Yeh, I have read on here that the intake causes more air to enter the #7 cylinder making it go lean. Others have said it is because the #7 runs hotter do to the fact that there is no crossover in the back for the coolant. Just to be safe you can get a flow matched set if injectors and put the one that flows the most in the #7 cylinder. ...
If they're flow matched, how can 1 flow more than others? Isn't that the point of flow-matched, all the same?

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
It is not the intake. Several on ls1tech have reversed the intake is race setups and still loose #7. The problem is the firing order and #7 not being cooled as efficiently as the other cylinders. A slightly better flowing injector in #7 helps. Others have changed the firing order and had good success.
Interesting, so how do ya go bout changin firing order? Sounds complicated. Can it be done thru stock PCM using HPT or say, EFI? Or is a FAST or similiar $$$ setup needed?

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i could have sworn i saw on ls1tech where they determined it was a combination of the stock intake and the water jackets/cooling for the rear cylinders. might be remembering something else.
Now, that's what I thought too.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

firing order is changed with a cam..
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

If your issue is a lean problem, you can add a mechinal injection point for that one hole. You need a nozzle some very small jetting, fuel noid, some osrt of controller, simple hobbs switch or a wot switch. Then you can add all the extra fuel you need at wot with out effecting your driving tune.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a coolant pipe from an older ls1. it vents all four to a common pipe then goes to the radiator.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

So I take it nobody has burned up a number 7 forged?????? dont know if i makes a difference what coolant im running i use prestone 50/50 green... 160 tstat and my cooling fans are set at 188degrees

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
If your issue is a lean problem, you can add a mechinal injection point for that one hole. You need a nozzle some very small jetting, fuel noid, some osrt of controller, simple hobbs switch or a wot switch. Then you can add all the extra fuel you need at wot with out effecting your driving tune.
I just firgured its a lean prob from what ive been hearing
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh no, forged #7 can pop as well, seen a few in person. N/A even.

Quick Reply: Whats the cure for lean #7